Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 chevy coupe on a 56 chevy frame.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49Chevysled, Jun 29, 2010.

1. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

I am currently in the process of swapping my 49 body on a 56 frame. I came across the 56 frame with air bag setup already fabricated. I was going to put bags on my 49 with the original frame but i thought i would save alot of money and time using the already built 56 frame. Has anyone done this body to frame swap? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

thanks

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

frame swaps are rarely a good idea.

3. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Can you please expand on that. The 56 frame already has front disc setup and has the air bag setup as well. The only thing would be fabricating body mounts and cutting the back part of the frame because it is a few inches longer at the back.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

I'd bet the track width is 1 1/2 to 2 inch wider on the 56.

If it is, it will look like shit.

Rich

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I agree, after you get done with all of the modifications, you ruin a frame and a body.

6. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Its been a while since i posted.

I went ahead and did the swap. It worked out for me just how i thought it would.
    Of course i did have to fabricate some new body mounts but everything worked out fine!!

Ive been working on the car since then. Im trying to fine sometime to post up a build thread soon..................

7. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

We'd like pics of that swap with details, please!!!

8. Well, the rearend would fit fine, but the front who knows. Seems like a roughly equal amount of engineering pain in the ass to do new body mounts, change bumper mounts, and so on as it is to just add what you want to the stock frame, but what do I know.

9. 73super

73super

Not sure I agree with what was said. I think there's nothing wrong with a body swap... but yes... take all measurements first before swapping it over. Body mounts aren't that big a deal, but a front end that is too wide can be a pain. I've heard of this being done before with satisfactory results. Hey, either way you're working on your ride and making it better... when you're done you'll have something you'll have fun with. Enjoy...

10. 73super

73super

Oops.. guess I should have read this first! Ha!

11. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Thanks 73super...

I did the swap and like i said it came out just the way i planned it and love the stance of my car.....

Fabricating body mounts is no biggie. not worried about it since im almost done with them.....

not going to use the original bumpers going to be a custom. I have an idea of the bumpers im going to use but wont say until i have decided. so i will have to fabricate new bumper mounts any way....

i know pics are a must so i will post pics soon...

12. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Im curious about this. seems like it wouldnt be ideal but now I have to see it.

13. gsport

gsport

<<< waiting for pictures

14. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

A few pics....

Attached Files:

15. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

It fits better than I thought it would.I do like the stance also.Is it aired out or is that ride height?

16. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

The bags are not in yet. its not ride height but not down all the way. it will lay frame.

17. gsport

gsport

looks like a good fit to me... good job

18. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Thanks!!

19. Now, turn the front wheels and let's see if the tires hit the fenders or not. I know the tread on a '56 is 1 5/16ths wider with the same exact brake drums -

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Personally, I'm not going to pat you on the back for messing up a 1956 Chevrolet SEAMLESS frame! There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 49-54 frame to start with, and you could have made updates to it; I see the 56 frame has tubular -arms, the only thing that gives it value now. That, and the T-post, fence pole, rear cross piece; now that's engineering. Butch/56sedandelivery.

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

i agree

22. deto

deto

"So I got this free ford explorer chassis and I'm thinking about doing a frame swap in my...."

-go kill yourself

23. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

it doesnt hit the fenders..... the frame has DISC BRAKES.....
    ill post up a pic when i get a chance to take it from the front..
    thanks for the concern

24. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It looks really good, forget the grouches there just hasen't been enough sun lately to improve there additudes. keep with it it will make a nice car. If people don't try different things nothing new would ever happen.

25. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

tubular arm and disc brakes and a better frame for bags....

yes its a seamless 56 frame.....AND ITS MY FRAME AND MY CAR!!
    for the price i got this frame (payed $150 yes i couldnt believe it either) with tubular and disc brakes I want you to go find me the updates you say i could have done for the same price of $150 let me know when you find them please.....

If you would know engineering you would see that the fence pole was just a temporary poor mans brace while the swap was getting done. if you dont like my t-post be a pal send me some money to buy more steel.....

26. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

I disagree..... i just proved it....

27. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

You should let me do it so it can be done right........

28. 49Chevysled

49Chevysled

Thanks.........
    I agree.. gotta try something different. just gotta have good planning for any project you do and not just go in there hacking chopping and crap welding everything.....

and yes there are many Grouches aka Haters out there..... they should start thinking outside the box once in a while...

29. laid55

laid55

very cool. does the frame lay before the body. would be cool to see that thing lay rockers!

30. classic gary

classic gary

I kinda hafta agree with the guy about the one piece frame, BUT, there are so many people making aftermarket frames out there, and there are so many stock frames that are going to the scrap metal grave sites, I think you did a service using the '56 frame where there was a need. (I'm a '56 Chevy owner and it did not hurt my feelings for you to use that frame.)

i just thought of something else, the guy you got the frame from had ALLREADY MOD'd it with the bags, if I remember correctly the spring pockets have to be opened up to fit the bags.....

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011