Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49 Chevy brake upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inuke, Aug 21, 2008.

1. inuke

inuke

I'm looking at upgrading the brakes on my '49 Chevy Fleetline. Since its not a real desireable classic, I don't want to pour huge amounts of cash into it. I've seen a number of disc brake conversion kits for stock spindles NOT using the mustang II type crossmember. Classic Performance Products has one listed on E-bay for $339.00. Has anyone done this upgrade and used their parts? I'm planning on new spindles and bushings,lines etc. I will be adding a disc brake rearend (S-10) and an open driveshaft so I can use the original 6 cyl (runs exceptionally strong) mated to a T5.
    Advice greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Inuke
    '49
    Fleetline

2. Bilko-1949

Bilko-1949
    1. GMB

3. You could just upgrade to 51-54 drum brakes. Alot of people go with a m-2 front end so it should be easy to find a set of drums and backing plates. Todd

4. scoop

scoop

I'd try this first if you don't want to spend alot of money.Where you at in MN?

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I used the basic ECI kit, bought the warranty parts local, made my own trans mount and master cylinder conversion mount, and paid for a new made to fit drive shaft.
    It is so easy to have real brakes, why mess with drums on a fat fendered car?
    I can run faster than a stock 53, shouldn't I be able to stop faster too?

My sheet metal is straight. I'd rather run discs than do body work.

The t5 is such an easy swap, and the stock 3 speed sucks so bad, why not?

6. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

come on now!!! these cars took alot of crap in the 50's and stuff cause it was differnt! its a chopped car from the factory. they are my favorite body style. but i guess its one of the cars you gotta have a taste for.
    mines got mustang II with a nova rear end. 283/350th and i am getting 31 miles to the gallon. If you not gonna hot rod it put the 53-54 brakes on the front they dont ride the best with the stock front end. and if you have to rebuild the front end your gonna have pretty close to a mustang II price tallied up.

7. www.chevytalk.com lots of info there on your upgrades. where are the pic's dude?