Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 Cadillac chop and Sectioned. Gettin er done!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Jun 9, 2009.

1. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Well stop the teasing and post a heap more pics.

3. This could be very cool - keep us posted please.

4. show me the pictuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kustoms are way kool! When Ralph was working over my Merc last year I got
    to feel how much fun it is to build a kustom. I was amazed on how much an
    inch can make or break ya...I love what you're doing, please keep posting
    pictures of your progress.

Happy Trails,

Mick

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice work on the Cad! I always liked the Sedanette. Off the subject, but I noticed the T-Bird roadster in an earlier post of yours, just want to say I saw the car a couple of months ago at a shop in Vegas where I had my sons Mustang getting new shoes. It's cool, although I agree the wheels made me go, "Hmmmm".

Brian

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thats gonna be a killer car,,,,,the chop and section will make the proportions perfect...cant wait for more progress pics..

8. Very nice choice of car to build. The 49 cad sedenatte is defenetly one of my all time favorites and with you choping and sectioning it you have a real big winner there. Cant wait to see this one finished.

I secrectly was Building myself a chopped & sectioned 49 cad about 20 years for a outlaw funny car i was building. But some big name atrist X friend i know put an art rendering of my cad in a major hot rod mag 2 monthts before i was to dabue it so i scraped it.

9. drbobmusic

drbobmusic

Hi James
    I used my I.T. cahllenged brain and finally found your post on here. That is truly amazing and I can't wait to see the finished job. Awesome. Oh by the way, it's Bob here, the guy from Australia who wants to buy the '61. Cheers mate!

10. Excellent! I was just wondering about this one yesterday.

11. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

that is one bad ass ride

12. HoldFast

HoldFast

One of my favorites. This is gonna be rad.

13. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Very cool. Thanks for the updates....

B

14. I love what your doin to that caddy! Wow thats alot of work, bin there, keep goin it looks good!

15. Both styles of 4 link accomplish the same thing...they hold the rear axle in the vehicle. The function of a 4 link is to keep the rear axle in its proper place under the car. The bottom 2 links keep the axle in place front to back. The upper 2 links keep the axle from rotating, keeping the pinion angle as constant as possible.
    On a triangulated 4 link the uppers bars are placed at an angle to the
    lowers. When connected securely to the axle and the frame they form a "triangle". This is what keeps the rear axle centered under the
    car.
    On a parallel style, a "panhard bar" must be used. It runs horizontally
    across the vehicle connecting the axle to the frame, allowing only up
    and down movement. Although there are several theories as to which
    is "better", in the real world it comes down to available space and
    preference.
    A parallel is sometimes easier to install because the link bar frame mount is one piece instead of two... less time in placing and welding the upper bar mounts. But a parallel 4 link requires a panhard bar which adds slightly to the expense and can use up valuable space needed for the exhaust system. A panhard bar will also induce a small amount of side to side movement during suspension travel... not enough to feel but it may a concern if you have an extremely tight tire to fender clearance. With a parallel 4 link you are locked into a sideframe link position... with a triangulated 4 link the lower links can be placed beside the frame or under the frame for clearance purposes.
    My two cents worth. But what do I know?
    Hell of a nice job. I love those cars "done right"

16. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I can't answer your question, but THAT LOOKS KILLER!!! :)
    Clean!!!! Great work!! Your Caddy is gonna be something man!!! The best profile!!!

Happy holidays!!!

17. Hey thanks, but honestly your work is outstanding I like the way you are sectioning your caddy , a little off the bottom of the doors and front fenders with the rear fenders raised a different perspective.

18. lenmann

lenmann
    from NorCal

resqd37Zep, that sedanette is going to be beautiful, always one of my favorite designs.

I have ridden in pre-runners that used Super Pivots, but they are noisy anyway. It seems like they shouldnt be any worse/noisier than poly bushings and certainly better than heim joints as the ball in a Super Pivot is fully captured in the Poly bushing halves.

A question on the lower shock mounts, shouldnt they be rotated 90 degrees so the bolt is parallel to the axle and arc of the axles movement?

19. domepiece

domepiece

I'd stick with the poly bushings. with a bag over axle setup you aren't going to get enough lift or articulation to need the super pivots. save yourself the money and stick with the poly ones.

Also chopped 51 was right as the panhard bar will push and pull your rear end side to side as it moves through it's travel. I would use a watt's link setup or a cross link that goes from next to one of the front lower bushing and then goes under the driveshaft and connects on the axle next to the lower bushing mount on that side. This setup keeps the rear end centered throught out your axles travel.

Car looks sick. keep it up.

20. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hell Yeah Brother!!!!

So Awesome James!!!!

I cant wait to see it in person!!!!:)

21. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

That frame sure is a big motivator. Your car is going to be great, can't wait to see it on the new frame!

22. Wicked50

Wicked50

The frame alone gives me inspiration to work on my truck. Your car is coming out great

23. Wicked50

Wicked50

Your lucky you havent been lynched, stoned and caned for the airbags

24. thaugen

thaugen

Bags, shmags. The haters better not be running radials, rack n' pinion or two-stage paint.

I always wondered about the engineering on these frames where the center members are not in the traditional "X" pattern:

1. Seems like without triangulation this frame would not be as stiff, or am I missing something?

2. The tubes under the driveshaft are welded in horizontally, so does that result in a weaker cross-connection?

25. choptvan

choptvan

to quote a friend of mine," if traditional means losing your imagination, then fuck traditional!" Some of these cats forget that the now tradtional guys took a risk by building their own way at one time or another. At one point it wasn't traditional to use drop blocks. These kind of guys need to remember that. Hey, maybe your ride will set a new style of traditional!

But really, car looks great. I have always wanted to do this to a caddy. Just got to have the money or luck to find one. Thanks for sharing.

26. Wicked50

Wicked50

amen!!!! But let's focus on the car cuz it looks like it's gonna be a bad ass car

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  27. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I dont think that you will mind the BBC .Mine has performed beautifully even in its very mild build. You can build a very nasty motor and still have it very driveable. glad to hear that you are working on her. I would love to ride in her when shes done to see how well it handles.

I have been moving the last two weeks. Took mine out today to show some friends the new motor. Keep plugging along

Todd

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

29. Nice progress. Nuttin beats a chopped Caddy. It should drive great with the new style frame

30. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Very cool bro...