Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Caddy clip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8 Bake, Dec 28, 2008.

1. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

First of all I am not a fan of cliping cars that already have a good front end. But I have a cousin that is wanting to put a newer clip under his. So I need to know what will fit the best and easy.I am shure I will end up doing most of the work since he is more of a body guy. If I had info on a cheap disk changeover he might go for it. Any help on a change over or clip would be great sinse I have never worked on one of these.
    Thanks Joe

2. iamspencer

iamspencer

Is 49 caddy same as 49 chevy?

3. Gator

Gator

4. metalman

metalman

I'm not a big fan of clips but we put a late 70 Seville clip under a 49 Cad, Worked out real well, sat nice and road great. The owner loved it, a Nova or Camaro would of worked too but the Seville has the 5 on a 5 bolt pattern, he could run his stock wheels and sombraros.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've used a '78 Pontiac Trans Am under my '55 Coop Deville...went in like it was made for it...I'd imagine a Nova or Camaro would work well in the '49...

R-

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

we did the same thing.
    the car is technically an f body. we used the front and rear end from the same car (did You know most of those were posi and had 4 wheel disc brakes? me neither.)

we also sectioned up the x member and re-installed it along with the rear u-joint (it's a constant velocity design- meaning pinion angle isn't as hard to get straight and NO vibration.)

we also managed to shoehorn a 500 between the rails.

it's not for the faint of heart, but it's not super difficult, either.