Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Buick torque tube rear end conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ausbuick, Aug 30, 2016.

1. ausbuick

ausbuick

Hi guys,
    Has anyone changed the rear differential centre on a Buick torque tube rear axel too work with a modern transmission?
    I have just purchased a transmission conversion from bensons, I will be putting a late model t700 behind my straight 8, I would like to retain the original differental if possible.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oldscl

oldscl

Following, for a 322 Nailhead though. How was dealing with Bendtsons and shipping etc?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Buick center sections through 1955 models will fit the earlier housings....however....they too are torque tube drive lines .....so no help there. Any thing that was open drive will not fit. I do know of two older Buicks on which the original closed drive differential was converted to open drive, similar to what is sometimes done with early Ford differentials. They were both done by the same fellow and were 'home brewed' solutions. But even with that approach, the existing 'control arms' (which in fact they are not, they are triangulated braces) are too weak to control the rear Axle in the absence of the rorque tube.

There have been several threads on this subject that you may find through the SEARCH function.
    Common approaches include. A. 4 bar setups and B. "Truck arms" aka "NASCAR arms".
    The type B is modeled after the Chevy pickup truck rear suspension used from 1960 through about 1972.

Unfortunately, the contours of the Buick chassis rails do not lend themselves to leaf spring setups. Other choices could include Jaguar IRS from the XJ series sedans. There are also some threads on the HAMB dealing with topic.

I am facing the same dilemma on my '38 Buick and will soon have to decide which approach to take. I know it will NOT be modifying the original differential....but replacing the entire rear axle assembly is the only way to go for my money.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. nuttz

nuttz
    from Australia

I had the same drama with my 47 Buick.
    I purchased the torque tube eliminator kit from hotrods to hell.
    It cost a fortune to get it to australia and then all the import tax etc..

Anyway i found the kit to be very basic, but stil required alot of fab work, also wont actually go that low.
    So i ditched the idea and went with a 4 link and ford 9 inch.

I think either way you do it, a new rear diff is needed, also remember you will need a dynaflow center if your buick was an original three speed as the ratio is super high in the manuals.

I spent countless hours with this issue so if you need any help, pics, measurements just give me a message.
    My buick lays frame all round and its taken alot of trial and error to get it right haha!

Sent from my SM-G925I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ashton Caselli, belair and tomnkay121 like this.

5. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may have already seen this on my 49 build thread but just in case there are pictures of the rear end conversion.

6. tomnkay121

tomnkay121

7. tomnkay121

tomnkay121

I’m having a lot of trouble making up my mind how to get my 56 buick special together. I purchased it off of my uncle who had put a 350 Chevy engine with 700r tranny and a chevy silverado positrack rear end that made the tires stick out an inch or more on each side. I read articles about installing camaro and Buick Roadmaster rear ends. I have a Roadmaster rear end in now and it seems to line up somewhat but I would sure like to know what you did with your vehicle. Thanks Tomnkay121

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Was the Silverado rear end fully installed....springs, control arms..etc .? If so, can you just transfer the setup to a narrower rear end?

Ray

9. Ashton Caselli

Ashton Caselli

Hi, new to the site. I am trying to lay frame as you have. Stock drivetrain, I would prefer to keep the stock trans, but is this possible? I was looking at the torque tube eliminator kit, but your post makes me nervous..your advice would be awesome!