Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 buick fireball straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donnymopar, Oct 29, 2008.

1. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

I have a 31 plymouth Sedan project I am just starting and I was thinking on using a fireball straight 8...something different. I am a mopar guy with my knowledge within the various wedge motors. What are some of the "yeh's & Nay's" of choosing this motor...

:eek:

2. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

good choice, good motor

3. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

OK...thanks for the thumbs up.
    I just found a 49 buick Roadmaster with motor and trans. The guy I bought the car from said the motor ran in August...but had no battery in it now (6 volt system). I like the look of it...I don't see to many straight 8's.
    Any and all opinions of good or bad choice and motor pro's and con's are appreciated.

4. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

the roadmaster [series 70] is a very good engine. Many times they dont need extensive rebuilding. the 49 model is the upgraded motor with insert bearings. so you have a fairly modern overhead valve engine, OHV,and good full pressure oiling. Being inline, they are a torq motor but also put out plenty of HP.They respond well to some hopping up, and have very good longevity. The fact it was running not long ago is very good sign, however they are a big heavy engine, so will require a long hood, but will have plenty of scoot in a light car, and you wont see meany others at the cruise nite.

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

6. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

39 cent,
    Thanks for the info....I figured it might be a little unique combination. It should be fun. I will attach a link for photos of the 31 Plymouth 2dr. Sedan I bought 2 weeks ago in another post.

7. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

8. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

39 cent,
    Thanks also for that link to the buick site....real cool 6 carb manifold!