Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 49-54 Chevy Windshield Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Jan 12, 2021.

1. I need a windshield for my 52 Chevy Ute. It currently has the division bar. I talked with Lloyd ( @Lloyd's paint & glass ) about the Olds one-piece windshield. All fine except he can't get one from his suppliers - none available. None on the two piece as well. I also need a left door glass, which is same as 4 door sedan front door. But that's flat glass, so it is easy enough, if I had the bottom channel for the regulator to connect. I don't have the channel either.

So here is my question: I am searching for used now. I am also fine with the two-piece. What other GM cars can I get windshield and door glass from? Is any of the 49-54 GM (Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac) cars a potential donor as long as 4 door sedan? Or 2-door for the windshield? I also need the wiper parts, is that same for 2-door and 4-door? That would seem to be the same, but what about Chevy vs the others?

I also need the outer stainless division bar if I go two piece windshield, is that the same? What about inner door garnish molding? I need those as well. Seems I can solve a lot of my problem if I can find a person parting a Chevy, but none currently found around here. So my question is what other potential donors can I look into? Thanks for the help, I am learning what I can on these 49-54 Chevy cars; this is my first one of them.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@38Chevy454
    Terry,

Hello again! 1949 thru 1952 Chevy and Pontiac, 1949 thru 1950 Olds 88 & 76 series and 1951 Olds standard 88, of like body style will interchange. Meaning two door and 4 door sedan share the same windshield glass dimensions for ‘notchback’, not ‘fastback’ (sloper). Four door models for your door glass needs. Convertible and hardtop windshields are a different height. No Buick or Super 88 or 98 Olds or Caddy stuff will fit.

But there are quite a few of the Chevys and Pontiacs out there in the weeds. Good luck with your search.

Ray

302GMC and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Yours would be a W-187 for the Olds, which you'll probably not find used.
    2 piece glass fits '49 -'52 Chev Styline coupe, 2 &4dr sedan, same years Pontiac humpbacks, & '49 -'50 Olds 76 - 88 (not fastbacks, very early '50 ).
    You hit it first, Ray ...

The door window and wiper parts are same in that age group on Pontiac, can't say on the Olds window parts ... there's probably 4 or 5 different garnish rails for the 4dr, your ute would most like likely use the Chev "Special", or cheapest Pontiac. Again, can't remember on Olds, but '76 might fit.
    Let's see the rear part of the door, please ...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    mgtstumpy and Hnstray like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

1952 Chevrolet uses an 'A' body platform as did some Pontiacs. GMH bodies were different in some respects to Fisher bodies, some things may fit (Front sheet metal, windshield etc) however not everything may interchange. I believe Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Buick were larger 'B' or 'C' bodies. I can't find my chart with a breakdown. I know the 'A' pillars on late 30s and 40s GMH bodies are more upright than Fisher bodies that are laid back slightly. Hopefully a local Fisher bodied car screen and rubber will fit the GMH body. This is a Steele Rubber measurement for a Fisher bodied 49-52 windshield rubber for comparison.
    upload_2021-1-13_15-19-18.png

Hnstray likes this.

5. Thanks Ray for the info. 302GMC, here is the Ute, I tried to select the best pics I have showing the rear of the door. My understanding is the doors are same as the front 4 door sedan since that is what Holden (GM Australia) also produced. The rear of the door is straight and ends at an approx 90. I haven't measured exactly. I do have the right side door glass, which can be used as a pattern. I still need that lower channel piece though to attach to the regulator.

AsRecLeftRear.jpg Right Rear.jpg Right Side Body.jpg

I have already flushed the gas tank, got the 235 running good, rebuilt the brakes, put my bear claw latches in the doors, swapped to a S-10 T5 and 55 Chevy rearend, and lowered it down approx 3 inches sitting on some old 5-spoke American copies. So I am close to getting it for longer drives than around my neighborhood slow speeds without any windshield. These pics are from as-received, it was taken apart years ago and then some parts lost in the longer term process before I bought and imported it this past summer. I will get updated pics soon.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    mgtstumpy and Tman like this.
  6. Hey Terry, i actually forgot to get back with you on the 2 piece windshield. They can get me those, but you'd crap on the pricing. The left is part number DW110 and my cost is $165. The right side is DW109 and my cost is $400.

7. Thanks Lloyd, let me think on that. I'll PM you a bit later.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as stated more than likely with what looks like a 4 door sedan door that is a 2 or 4 door coupe or sedan windshield. definitly not for a hardtop as they are not only shorter by have a different shape.

another windshield height came with the station wagons. they are taller ... something to look out for in your search. whatever you buy, get a measurement first.

do those use a unique rear glass?