Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chevy guys , Column swap ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Nov 4, 2010.

1. thinking of changing over to floor shift .... what steering will column bolts right up with minor mods ?? any help . thanks

2. why take the old one out?

3. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

if you car has the original column...all you have to do is take off the shifting rod(at least on the standard) parts and use what you got....unless you just want to change the column for the sake of changing it...

4. the rest of the guys are right, you don't need to do a column swap to get rid of the shifter, but if you must, chevy van.

5. thanks guys ... i was just thinking of running a caddy one . with the telescope unit

6. teddyp

teddyp

i,ve wanted to change mine or cut it so the wheel is in a more comforable spot the van or early caddy (62-66)work good and they dodn,t have the key in them if you do change it use a 54 box

7. steering box?? teddy

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never seen a telescoping Caddy steering column that did not look like a giant elephant dick in an old car.

9. im gonna take your word for it . fink ...lol you are from sf

10. Snarl

Snarl

Is the steering and front suspension totally stock right now?

11. robleticia

robleticia

I just removed all the linkage. Future plans call for shortening it!

12. ya ...that what i wanted to do with the caddy one .. i like them cuz of the tilt and the telescopic thing

13. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

10-4

14. lowelife

lowelife

Now that's funny, unless your from SF!

15. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

IF you still have the original front end you will not be able to put a latter steering column on it without major front end work.........New columns will not hook up to the original steering linkage under neath..........

16. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Actually you can cut the stock shaft and use a u-joint to couple a new shaft to it without changing anything underneath. It's been done here a couple times if you search it. Of course if you don't need to change it, don't. I did it my my old 53 because of ergonomic issues that made driving much easier for me, but the column will look out of place.

17. 73super

73super

I'm just cutting and shortening my shaft.... That's right ladies.. My shaft is too flippin' long.. ha!

But I know what you're talking about with getting the steering wheel in a more comfortable driving position. I'm shortening my by about 3 inches. This will lower it and get my hand out from the middle of the windshield when I'm driving it.

I don't like the look of aftermarket steering wheels and columns. Want to keep the original steering wheel.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the San Francisco Bay Area covers almost 9000 square miles. I'm not from San Francisco.

19. robleticia

robleticia

he said "shaft"

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

In our '53 Chevy, the stock column is there without the shifter assembly, looks fine. In my '56 F-100 I use a '63 Cad Tilt Column, it's pretty small and doesn't resemble anything from a giant elephant.