Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chev, lowering leafs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotflint, Oct 29, 2012.

1. hotflint

hotflint

Its time for me to do my rear suspension righ, currently I have 4 inch lowering blocks I made on sagged out leafs with worn out bushings, in my 51 fleetline, I admit I have scrubline issues (kinda dangerous) but I also get banging maybe caused by coil bind (its the stock rearend!) I don't like things not being right so my question is......... Jamco or posies springs, which are better? Jamco is around $80 more. Is there anyone else who manufactures lowering springs?

The front end is dropped around 3 inches, I made lower A-arm spacers to increase the pockets and cut 2 coils.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. hotdamn

hotdamn

I can tell you that I have changed my posies out a couple of times and keep having an issue with the car leaning on the passenger side. I have checked out the front springs to make sure one wasn't out of pocket or anything, everything checks out good but it still is dropped 1" on the passenger side.

not saying anything negative about Posies, but I have replaced the pass spring a couple of times now and it keeps doing it.

That said posies customer service was awesome and they certainly tried to take care of me on it.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You can't have coil bind on the rear end, your pumpkin is hitting the floor.
    Cutting coils up front increases the spring rate, making it a stiffer, harder ride.

My 53 was like that with 3 different sets of springs. Different manufacturers. At some point, you have to admit a 60 year old car is crooked. I fixed it with a 1" block on one side.

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

I hear ya, my only issue with that is that the entire car has all new suspension all the way around?

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am running a Walton Fab rear leaf spring set up in my 51. easy kit to install.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The banging is due to the axle or torque tube (if it's still in there) or driveshaft if not hitting either the floor or frame. You can figure that out by getting under it and figuring out where it hit. That's common on lowered vehicles that don't have the floors or frames modified for clearance.

As for the sagging on one side, you may have to compensate for that as 53Sled mentioned in post #3.
    Usually old cars and trucks sag on the driver's side due to having been driven all too many miles with only the driver in the car. When a Deputy Sheriff stopped me in the 48 for some reason or other 20 years ago he asked why my truck sagged to the left so much and didn't think my "fat driver" answer was funny even when he was standing there with all 270lbs of me in front of him.

7. hotflint

hotflint

kinda to clear things up it sometimes does a bang jerky thing if I let the clutch out too hard, I was thinking it was the leafs, maybe worn out 60 year old bushings and 4 inch blocks on it, I will check for rub marks again but I havent seen any.

8. hotflint

hotflint

Thank you

9. hotflint

hotflint

It rides better with the cut springs but aalso put a spacer in the packet and lowered it, I should say spring bind not coild bind (a wave like action caused by pressure on the spring, the reason that drag racers put ladder bars in to steady the rear end)

10. hotflint

hotflint

thank you

11. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have chassis enginering 2" dropped uprights in the front with 2 coils cut and thier 2" rear spring kit and it just last week started leaning about 2"s lower on the right rear and I cannot see anything causeing it. I want it lower by about 2"s all the way around and have been wondering the same thing about who's front springs to get.

12. 5window

5window

Do a HAMB search for Jamco and read lots of postings. Maybe a great product, but I wouldn't send them a dime.
    This is Corncobcoupe's (moderator) posting on another thread, before closing it:

Read ALL of these posts................

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ighlight=jamco

13. hotflint

hotflint

Seems these links do not work, thank you though, I will try and do a search