Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 49-53 old dodge trucks any pics of done ones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HELLMET, Mar 2, 2017.

1. HELLMET

HELLMET

helping a buddy with his 53short bed has any one done one up. cant really find anything on the web. also looking for parts if any one has any leads that would help. thanks .

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

That Dodge truck series ran 48-53, might make a difference in your search. 52 was the highest production level of that series, the trucks were referred to as the "Pilot House Dodge truck" era, which would probably give you a bunch of returns on your Google search.

What info and what parts are you looking for? Try:
    wwwrobertsmotorparts.com
    wwwvintagepowerwagons.com
    A lot of mechanical replacement parts are available, body parts, not so much. A lot of these trucks have been hot rodded, everything from mild upgrades to frame clips and full on frame replacements, with about any drive train you can imagine.

The frame was basically unchanged through 1956, so many modifications through those years also will apply with slight modifications.
    I'll post up pictures of my 50 on an 80 Dodge 4x4 chassis, and my 54 with a front frame clip. Gene

Attached Files:

3. Bobacuda

Bobacuda

I have a '53 I finished (as much as any is ever finished) rebuilding a year ago. Dodge Central of Michigan also has parts. Some I simply had to search for online, and a lot of the mechanicals are available at a parts store. Fenders and running boards are available in fiberglass. Go to the p15-d24 website and then to its Pilothouse section for lots of info and fellow Pilothouse truck owners - lots of them know where the best boneyards are and who has what part for sale. They have an annual picnic coming up north of you and some of the guys exchange/sell parts there. Almost forgot - soft seals from Clesters, good products and prices.

My truck:
    passenger side full profile.JPG Truck at Luckenbach.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    classiccarjack likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Saw this one in 2016 when in Canada as they aren't that common down here 20160721_172613.jpg 20160721_182351.jpg

exterminator likes this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

HPIM8393.JPG HPIM8396.JPG Here's a '50 1/2 ton owned by the same fella for over 30 years. Kinda odd with no quarter windows & a shallow box, but factory radio & the only fresh air heater we've seen yet. Last fall I fixed him up with turn signals & dual pipes, & did some general tightening ... these things are TRUCKS !

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    exterminator likes this.
  6. We have three in our hoard. they belong to my eldest son. Two of them have the 5 window cabs. One has a South Wind heater that burns gasoline and is plumbed into the fuel system.