Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-52 Chevy VIN locationss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cruiser, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Cruiser

Cruiser

Chevy guys besides a VIN on the drivers front window post, are there any other places that Chevy put VIN's on the 49-52 Chevy? I have a '52 Chevy and have found only one VIN so far.
    The California DMV requires two VIN's on the car, will stamp one if there are no others.

Thanks

CRUISER :cool:

2. BadLuck

BadLuck

i have a second one under my hood, below the front window passenger side..

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

Thanks BadLuck will take a look under the hood soon.

CRUISER :cool:

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

Hey Cruiser.. i just checked my car.. and it isnt a VIN number tag.. its a tag with all the paint code and body information. I thought it had the Vin too.. sorry. I dont recall seeing a second Vin anywhere else. I had to have my car verified by the CHP because i bought with no paper work.. Had no problems.

6. fat141

fat141

According to the front page (or thereabouts) in the original workshop manual, it points out the places where numbers are,ie, engine, rear end, starter motor etc, BUT there seems to be only ONE place for the VIN. As you say L/H front door pillar. I am away from home at the moment and if google cant help or another Chev fan with the book of which I speak cant help, then I will post a picture of the page in a day or two. Or send me a PM as a reminder. Good luck
    Rod

7. squirrel

squirrel

There's only one VIN on those cars. 55 and newer have it stamped on the frame, too.

8. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

that number is not a VIN its a body number, the actual VIN was stamped on the original Engine....

9. squirrel

squirrel

The engine number was stamped on the engine, the VIN was on the tag on the door pillar. But many states used the engine number for title and registration purposes. From the 1952 Chevrolet engineering book

Attached Files:

10. Yup. One number on these cars. Some 53-54 convertibles have the number on the frame, but it didn't become standard for all until '55.

11. Yanksta

Yanksta

I looked all over for my 52 chevy vin also. Come to find out that year had no vin on the body or frame it was only on the engine and if you do an engine swap they say to get the new number on the title. my number on my engine matched my title perfect and i had no problem getting the title in my name. The inspectors came to the house and never looked at the vin on the door pillar or the paint tag under the hood just the engine. if u stamp it on the frame or body a smart guy that is checking will no that it is false.