Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49-'52 Chevy guys...I need advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Donzie

Donzie

I've dropped a '77 350 in my '50 Chevy. I've replaced the long water pump with a short one for radiator clearance. Now, what do I use for the alt. bracket? Does it mount on the pass. side or drivers side. I was told that I would have to use one from a '67 or earlier 327 that bolts to the head. Is this correct?
    I'm trying to get this finished for the James Dean Run. This appears to be (so far) the biggest obsticle.
    Also, wiring. For the short term should I by-pass the stock guages and just hook up a couple of mechanical (water/oil) ones for now?
    Give me some tips here to get me on the road.

2. FONZI

FONZI

I am just running one of those cheap-o mounts that consists of a bracket coming off the headers and a long bracket coming off the waterpump. I think KRAGEN or Pep Boys has em. I don't like it much and will be replacing it with a corvette mount i found. It is on the driver's side. I wouldn't bother messing with the stock gauges. I would just put in an aftermarket set. The stock gauges will take a bit o work to make them work with your new engine.

FONZI

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

hey, Fonzi is helping Donzie!

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Fonzi got the right idea.. It will mount on the drivers side.... Are you using cast iron exhaust manifolds?

5. Donzie

Donzie

Yeah, I'm using the stock manifolds.
    Fonzi, tell me about that Corvette bracket. Expensive, hard to come by?

6. Donzie - I hooked up my stock fuel guage in my ol 38 chevy one time and it worked and read right with 12 volts.also you can adapt the sender from the ol six from temp guage and fit it into the small block and use it. the oil pressure is a low reading guage so it will only work at idle pressures.

7. FONZI

FONZI

Corvette bracket is a clean little cast piece that I haven't completley figured out yet.lol I just haven't got around to it becuase my current setup works.....I remember seeing one at a show and asked the owner of the car aout it. He said it was stock corvette. THe next day I saw one on ebay and bought it. It was like 8 bucks. I just need to install now.

FONZI

8. Donzie

Donzie

Fonzi, can you post a pic of it? I know someone who has some Corvette stuff or I can check Ebay also.