Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49-52 Chevy Chops with Extended Catwalk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Howdy Fellas~ I did a search but really didn't find what I'm looking for, anyone have a few pics of a 49-52 Chevy Sedan that has been chopped but where the "Catwalk" was extended? I heard it gives it more of the Coupe look? If you have any pics I would really appreciate any help.

Many Thanks,
    Sam Navarro

2. scottydc

scottydc
    from Waco TX

Bump, I too am interested in seeing them.

3. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Okay, I have to ask because I'm never heard that term used in this context. What is it on these cars that would be referred to as the "catwalk?" Is it the narrow strip of body between the bottom of the rear window and the trunk opening?

:cool:

4. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Here are a couple two doors I stole from the HAMB and my junky old four door. Not only does it take some of the bulkiness out of the C pillar, it keeps you from having to lean the back window down so far. On both of the 2 doors, they eliminated the belt line trim under the rear window. I am going to rework the stainless on my four door and run the stock trim.

Attached Files:

5. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Yes Sir, that is the section.

6. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

This is a coupe with I believe the rear of the roof moved foreward,extending the catwalk. Nicely proportioned chop.

Attached Files:

7. that is called the dutchman panel the purple and red car droplord posted are cool

8. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Hey buddy do you have any more pics of the red car?

9. BadLuck

BadLuck

let me check my pics.. i might have a few.....

10. BadLuck

BadLuck

i'll keep looking.....

Attached Files:

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Thank you.

:cool:

12. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

So we all know that a standard chop is difficult enough to get right but do any of us know or know someone who has done one? I would like to know how much more difficult/expensive/labor entensive this style chop is.....

Sam

13. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i know there was an article some time ago chopping a pontiac. they extended the catwalk. i don't remember what mag. it might have been custom rodder. the hardest to me would be to get the bely molding to to flow correctly. to me a lot of coupes chopped don't look right. it makes the trunk look long. i didn't extend my catwalk on my chevy. i didn't want to lose any room inside.i want to keep how it was cause i have kids.

Attached Files:

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Here is Ian Berkys....Im not sure how far its pulled forward but it is and has great flow, one of the nicest around! Check out his album in his profile for more.

[​IMG]

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Truth be told I think Bickford's has the nicest profial out of the bunch , and second would be Droplord's 4 door! I have a 52 buisness coupe in my colection of "someday's" and personaly I have never realy seen one chopped that flowed right to me, and I think almost everything looks better chopped!!!!! But I like them to flow and melt into the deck lid,just my 2 cents worth , no foul with any of them ! Larry

16. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Any chance you have more pics of your ride that you would like to share? I dig the hell out of it!

Thanks,
    Sam

17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

P.S. as far as additional labor or complexity. You will be reworking the quarter window area anyway so the only real other issuse's will be reworking the package tray and recontureing the new " cat walk" { we call them a two lip panel!!} and maybe some re-engineering at the trunk hinge pocket's. It is all alot of work but if it flow's right and make's you giggle like a school girl ! It is worth it. another thought is to consider how much you want to chop it and mask off the top of the glass the desired amount and and sit in it ,if not drive it around if possible and see if you can see thing's. I am 6'1" and I found out the hard way 4.5 to 6 inch chops don't work well for me!!! haha! just some more thoughts from someone who has been cutting and painting since1971! good luck Larry

18. skyrodder

skyrodder

Is that a Merc back window?

19. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

it is a mercury rear window. saw it on your car. decided to try it on mine. my roof is a bit narrower then your. i couldn't get the stock one to look right with the chop. im glad i saw yours. it opened up the back so much more.

20. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

here is some more. there was a lot more work that went into the chop then most. vie had the car for 11years now. it has taken me 11 years to chop it. when i first got i was going to chop it. my good friend Mike Stobbe aka =mike= told me not too. he said first "start with getting the also has you want it. then do all your body mods from the bottom to top. when i finish with those and then i still feel like i wanted it chopped, then got for it!" to me that was the best advice vie gotten on my car. if i would of chopped it first. im sure i wouldn't be that stoked on it. im really stoked on how it turned out. putting the mercury rear window in was a beast. we also left the rear quarter windows stock length. that was a bitch cause we had to rework the inside rear quarter windows. the where sticking out past the rear window. it was a pain in the ass of a chop ,but i could be any happier with it.

the 1st photo you can see how the roof flows.
    2nd shows how big these 50 mercury rear windows are compared to a 51 chevy sedan.

Attached Files:

21. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Larry

thanks for that. it truly makes me feel that my and my friend daves hard work paid off.

jason

22. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Eric!! A lot going on there!! The car was highly molested and VERY badly chopped!! Beltline already cut behind the rear 1/4 window, so i did what i could to save it and that's the result!!

here is 51 coupe without extended catwalk vs the other tan one from the suede palace!!

[​IMG]

23. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Thanks buddy! I really dig the flow that you accomplished on your car. My new years goal is too finish my car completly so I want to plan as much as possible before taking the plung.

@ Ian- Can't wait to see your car in a couple of weeks buddy, travel safe.

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

So Sam, the car your working with is actually a sedan no ? Youre just trying to give the roof more of the coupe look, when its chopped ?

25. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Yes sir, my car is a 52 Sedan and I just wanted to get more of a coupe look to it. In my opinion the Chop is the most important part of the process and I want to explore all options before I commit.

Sam

26. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Coupes are nice;)

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Sam, theres a cat here in Dallas that wants to put a sedan roof on his coupe and chop it...yall should arrange a swap, He should be at the Roundup.

28. skyrodder

skyrodder

looks great!

29. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

In my world that area is called the tulip pannel.