Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-52 Chev/Pont and a 4.3l V6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdmagnet, Jun 10, 2011.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

The old 239 inline 6 in the poncho is starting to get pretty noisy in the bottom end. Debating on whether to tear her down and rebuild it or start looking at putting something else into it. I like the idea of going to a 4.3 litre V6 - plenty around and cheap - lots of after market parts for them, and something different from the standard 350 setup everyone goes with. Not looking to go racing - just every day touring.

Has anybody gone this way ? And if so photos and install tips/tricks would be appreciated !!!

Thanks much !!!!:):)

2. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

Stay with a similar flavor and find an OHC 6, 230" sprint, or even a 215" would make a huge difference in power, yet maintain a certain spice that a 4.3 won't deliver.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Might as well go with a V8, doesn't cost much more than the V6, has more power and will fit as well. Find a good Pontiac motor and drop it in.

4. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Bullshit.

I have a 20' Maxum with a stock Merc 4.3 that will eat a 305 alive, and our shop 2003 Sierra has a 200hp 4.3* that does quite fine in both mileage and power. Both those motors you mention** are smaller and have much inferior head design compared to a 2000 or later 4.3.

*this motor still has a distributor and carb manifolds are available
    **sprint motor is much heavier and 215 good luck finding parts other than Rover stuff

5. Swifster

Swifster

The 4.3L is a great little engine. Get a 1990 to 1992. These are roller engines but don't have the balance shaft, making it just like a SBC at the front & rear.

6. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

A 230" sprint makes one hp/cube. Pretty good power and can be made to make more easily. I wasn't refering to the Buick 215" V-8, but rather the 215" OHC 6. Parts are available, but not as easy as some. I didn't mean that the 4.3 wasn't a good engine, but in an old Pontiac that came with a straight six, it would be cool to see another Pontiac straight six under the hood, but one that runs a whole lot better and is cool in it's own right.

7. anteek

anteek

Use a 4.3 and buy a set of nascar pontiac heads and valvecovers. The heads and covers are aluminum ,look grear and give it more A**.

8. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I would agree a OHC Pontiac six would be cool, but that is not what he is asking...

Swifster - why not run balance shafts? they make it a much smoother mill.