Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '49-'51 Shoebox Coupe chopped

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan Glick, Jan 10, 2018.

1. allredskylar

allredskylar

I’m 15 years old. I’m also chopping my shoebox. Cutting is the easy part piecing it back together is the hard part. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I never paid that much attention to that car because I think the fins are goofy, but that roofline is pretty sweet. I wonder if, instead of adding the fins, you could accomplish the same thing with a clamshell with a second set of rear fenders to fill the gap to the trunk opening. Not sure I'm making sense, but it might make for nicer, small round fins. Might be an interesting way to end up with a nicely chopped coupe (words that I don't usually put together).

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Beautiful work.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

I've never seen a chopped shoebox coupe that I liked.

Rich

verde742 likes this.
  5. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

there used to be a guy on here with a red and silver chopped '51 coupe. think his name was geeman51 or something like that. nicest chop i've ever seen on a coupe. anybody have pictures?

6. Can you further explain this process please?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. You Bet. Think about it for a moment. The A post is slanted on most cars and the B post is vertical. When the Fixed length of the Roof comes down something has to move in order to get both posts back together. That is the common reason the B post gets leaned forward, as well as the top slid forwaard. To "not" do that the rook skin must be lengthened as well as the door top. The roof skin isn't a big deal gut the complexity of the door frame is more than most can do properly. To do that the easy way using a top off another door makes it Kids play with just one seam somewhere in the middle. Also a second roof skin will make streching the top a one seam job instead of a wide band and two seams. I also do Not lean the vertical post inboard to adjust for things getting narrower. I think it makes cars look like a Pin Head. Not good from my point of View.
    The Wizzard

8. I about read your explanation a good 10/15 times. Even had to Google "roof skin" but I get it know and sure am glad I do. This always was going around in my head why some guys approach a chop different ways. The easy way is not the best way, and the best way take more time. I appreciate the time you took out to explain it, I light bulb went off in my head around the 14th 15th time hahaha. Thanks Wizz!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Sorry for not being more clear. Sometimes what is ratteling around in my Head don't come off of my Fingers very well.
    The Wizzard

10. verde742

verde742
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please DON'T chop it, they look SO good Just lowered and stock chrome..

11. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Sectioned 50 shoebox[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dwollam and Hank37 like this.