Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Merc power steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ace-k, Nov 11, 2009.

1. The only options I can find are:

F100 power steering box (Large and changes the geometry of the column, but uses the original pitman arm.)

Isuzu tooper (Small but not a very strong box and requires some frame modifications and you have to use a custom pitman arm) Pretty expensive also.

Jeep box (This is the one Extreme Kustom sales. Supposed to be strong and does not change the geometry of the column and uses the Merc pitman arm. Some frame mods.)

Are there any others? I'm thinking of going with the Extreme Kustom Jeep power steering conversion kit.

Taildrager49 likes this.
  2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Any link on EXKs Jeep box? Ive never heard of it. The Isuzu swap looks like a nightmare. It was in some mag, looked like a TON of work.

3. Mark T

Mark T

The Jeep box that Extreme uses is from a '99-'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I think they are selling them on Ebay. I recently bought one of the Jeep boxs to use in my '55 Ford, the '55 Ford steering box is very similiar to the '51 Merc.
    I paid $18. from the local You-pull-it, had it out in less that a 1/2 hour.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I love that guy. He is so far ahead of the Merc curve it's nuts, always neat reading his posts. That kit looks trick!

5. what year F-100 box?

6. pauly_z

pauly_z
    from Tejas

7. those F-100 boxes are getting tough to find. The EXK setup uses 1999-2004 jeep cherokee box and they are cheap and easy to find. picking one up tomorrow for $30!