Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 MERC Door Hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfrolka, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

Any other ford car that shares similar door hinges? My pins are broke off, looking into what the options are for aftermarket, crossover, similar. I have seen the ad for the guy thats sells them for arounf $250 and pins @ $50. Anybody got some input?

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Contact Tom Fritz @Customs Classics and Rods.763-241-1252 or email @ [email protected] handle here on the H.A.M.B. is Tfritz.He can answer your questions.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did it brake just the pin or did it break the hinge it's self? I'd think that you could have someone make a set of pins in a machine shop and with stock hinges as a pattern there are guys on here who can fab a pair of new hinges pretty easily. They aren't all that complicated as far as car hinges go.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

The hinges are bent to fit each car your hinges fit your car. I had my wifes car hinges rebuilt worth every penny.
    Custom Classics & Rods www.ccrod.com 763 241 1252

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I had Tom rebuild a set, came out nice.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I don't think there are any crossover pins. For my Merc I made new pins from stainless steel bolts using a lathe. Work fine. Made the oil groove using a die grinder and a cut off wheel. If I had to do it again, I would have my hinges rebuilt or buy the correct pins and rebuild them myself.

7. No other hinges will fit. They are also factory bent to fit so it is not real easy to use hinges from another mercury. When i rebuild them i use a slightly oversized pin from a late model jeep. NAPA sells them for about $20.00. They are hardened steel but they donot have the oil grove like the stock pin has so i cut the oil grove with a die grinder. You will also need 2 sizes of reamers as the body's side of the hinge is a press fit and the door side is the pivot side. Be carfull not to ream the pivot side out to big it should be only .0015 to .003 oversize. If done correctly they should pivot smooth but with some light resitance. Here are some i recently rebuilt and installed for hrod50 here on the hamb. I do rebuild them and if interested pm me. Rick

Attached Files:

8. T Fritz

T Fritz

I rebuild the Ford and Mercury hinges and any other make and model door hinge. I bore out the male half of the hinge and press in bronze oilite bushings and then ream that to the pin size. I also make and sell the correct pins for the 49-50 Mercury and the 50-51 Mercury door hinges. I also make the 49-51 Ford hinge pins. The pins are exact copies. I have them in the stock sizes and in different oversizes to fix different problems. The pins are turned on a CNC turning center and have the correct oil grove. They are then case hardened like the originals were. I also stock all the hinge mounting hardware used from 32 through 58 on the Fords and Mercurys.
    Give me a call in the shop
    763-241-1252
    Tom Fritz
    Check the hinge section in my catalog www.ccrod.com

9. Go with Tom- Did mine,and I couldn't be happier= Great service,product ,price,communication...........