Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49-'51 merc disc brake installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 MERC-CT, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

I recently installed this kit from Extremekustom (suspect the same as Jamco)
    Relatively easy installation and allows use of original wheels.
    But, because it is installed on Fatman spindle supports there is a clearance
    problem with the caliper. This is what I did to correct the problem.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. RAY With

RAY With

Since you cleared that up what's next? I had a little clearance problem with fat man stuff on my 51 truck but a little grinding and polishing and problem solved. Not near the situation you had here though. This post should help a lot of rodders out there. Thanks for the great pictures and explanation

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ya i like the fatman stuff other than having to send the spindles out and half to wait, it bolted right up for a merc i did..now do they have these issues with there own upwrights? or is it just cross applications?

matt

4. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

So if you don't have drop spindles there is no need to rotate the caliper mounting plates right?

5. Terri3131

Terri3131

I bought the complete ball joint conversion and disc brake setup from Jamco for my 51 Merc. Way too many mods to make it work and had to change out the calipers, hoses and banjo bolts because none of the parts were compatible. It wouldn't take much to have made it a great kit. Bottom line, Buyer Beware, Real poor quality control and even worst service.