Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 Ford car front suspension update questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarliner, Feb 3, 2007.

1. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

A friend of mine, picked up a 50 ford 2 door sedan recently and is wanting to know what is available out there to update the front suspension.He bleeds Ford Blue and wants to use a Ford engine in it.Ive done a little research on the subject, and found there are dics brake kits made for this swap, and front stubs, and a steering box swap. I checked a few places and was suprised to find, only a few suppliers offered a mustang 2 crossmember set up and was wondering why? Since these cars are very popular.Is it due to the front suspension already being an independent set up that is usable as is, with brake updates?
    The original planned swap was to use a 460, but I think, after he saw the problems invovled, he has reluctantly been considering a small block 302,351W,ect. But they all have a front sump oil pan and may have clearence issues, with the stock crossmember.I have seen many small block fords in these,so I know its been done, what needs to be done, to make this swap?
    Does anyone here, have a big block Ford in one? And what did you do, to make it work? I really dont think he wants anything, but a big block Ford in it.But Im thinking we are talking major surgery, to do this, firewall, fender wells, crossmember, ect. If he puts a mustang 2 crossmember in it, will a 460 oil pan clear it o.k. Any info on this would be great.Thanks.

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I got nothin for ya on the big block swap, but as far as a small block goes im currently makin that happen on mine. Motor mount kits are readily available for the stock crossmember. As far as the oil pan goes the front sump will not clear. You need a mustang pan and pickup tube to clear streering etc.

Suspensionwise, correct there are plenty of disc conversions on the market. I can't think of the name right now for some reason, but _______ makes a balljoint conversion. It removes the stock control arms and kingpins and you end up with a 2" drop in the front as well as disc brakes. I believe it goes for around 1600-2000 including everything. I have, however, heard mixed opinions on this kit and have decided that if kingpins were good enough for Ford in 1951 they're good enough for me.

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Jamco Suspension makes the balljoint kit. Just remembered.

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

Thanks Bill for the info, especially about the mustang oil pan, didnt know that.Anyone else have any info about these swaps? Thanks.