Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49, 50 Mercury Taillights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ace-k, Feb 9, 2009.

1. My son and I are about to start a project. We found a solid 1950 Mercury 2 door. I like the look of some of the traditional Barris Mercs that don't have taillights on the body but have them in the rear bumper guard. It seems like it will be pretty easy to do. Do you know if they are required by law to be a certain size or distance appart?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Taillamp size is not dictated nor is placement other than one on each side but common sense should prevail. You wouldn't want them only 24 inches apart, would you?

3. That's true but maybe if they are the bright LCD lights it wouldn't matter how far apart they are. I'm not a big fan of LCD light on old cars but I like the clean look of no taillights

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

rather than assume that there are no restrictions, I'd check with the DMV - regs should be on line. I believe that there are some height requirements and some separation (distance) regulations. Each state is different. Ask anyone who's tried to title a car from either a homebuilt standpoint, or a hot rod with an out of state title into a new state. When you're doing serious bodywork, you don't want to have to 'undo' it to accommodate some pompous porker at the inspection station with a H**D-on for modified cars.

dj

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yep, Id say it best to do the research yourself instead of guess and have to change it. Honestly if its an antique plated car, driven not so often they probably won't hassle you, but your states laws are the one to ask. Post some pics of the Merc!

6. Here it is. It hasn't been on the road since 1966
    IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009