Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-50 merc grille question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsledmerc49, Apr 29, 2011.

1. No center piece, no guards ? No Dice.

2. as per Bob....

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Drewfus

3. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

here is mine.

just cut two bars from the center (two from each side) of another grille and made up some brackets to hold it together.

Attached Files:

4. Here's some DeSoto grills you asked about...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Leadsledmerc49, If you are intrested I have the center grill piece already made up....You can have it.....just pay for the shipping. Let me know

Attached Files:

6. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

It is kinda odd with some of the parts. I have the title, which matches the ID plate on the car and comes up as a '49. It has a '49 dash, '49 front marker lights and the leftover trunk lid handle/ emblem which is '49 I think, from looking at others. The grille center piece at least is a '50, maybe the whole grille too. Door handles are '50 but there also appears to be some work done around them. Why anybody would go through the extra trouble, I don't know. The rear glass is one piece but I heard that late '49s got this as well. The flathead is a ford motor and not the merc motor. Funny what people do to cars over the years.

7. snappindog

snappindog
    from 01590

thank you for that post i am building a 50 with the same set up i didnt want to fu it up snappindog

8. Bill Papke sells the grill incert to eliminate the centerpiece.
    1-714-843-6969. Tell him Bad Bob sent you.

9. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Wow, just now seen you guys were still posting on this. Bob, last time I emailed Papke he didn't have any, but that was back when I started the thread. I am pretty vested now into my Desoto grille. Got a good pan, 1 tooth away from a complete '53 grille, and a ton of pics from Matt... I can't go wrong:)

10. Okay. Hope it works out for you. Don't forget to post some pic's.....

11. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Yeah I'm horrible about that. I got the front suspension mocked up yesterday. I'll try and get some shots of that too...

12. I have not forgotten qabout you. I go home id 70 days and will check on the tooth for you

13. Mercury switched to the 50 style door handles on late 49's, about the same time they switched to one piece rear windows. I have seen an unrestored coupe taht had a 49 dash, 50 style door handles and 50 merc chrome grill with the 49 center bar. 49 grills are stainless and 50's are chrome. During the production runs on these cars Mercury simply used what it had in stock at the time. The 49 production run was extremely long having started in April 48, so by the time the 49's were ending and 50's were coming out they had used up some of the 49 parts. There are a lot of nuances between 49 and 50 most people don't notice.
    Matt

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

This is an old thread but I happen to be looking for a center section for my 49 grille. I see Bill Papke has passed away so that source is out. Anybody have another source?

15. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I also have been looking for the Cal Custom center piece, but no luck yet.

16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Somebody must make them. C’mon guys help us out with some leads to a source.

17. Did you try calling the guy who bought his inventory?

18. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Pro Stock John, Thanks, I will try them. Any other leads is of course appreciated.

19. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I tried the guy who bought Papke’s inventory but he does not have any. He did offer an old grille to cut the teeth out and make one. Worse comes to worse I will have to do that. Still hope to find one, so if you have any ideas please post or send me a message. Thanks.

20. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

You need one complete grill. Then two more halves to make it look good I am doing that because I have looked everywhere for months and that is the only way. If you luck out I got three halves on ebay for 180$ then I bought one nice complete one for 160$. I am going to use the halves for my center. then keep the left overs and make some more hopefully.