Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-50 Ford shoebox gauges converted to mechanical

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Jul 24, 2019.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

so I cut down a shoebox dash for my model a coupe and wanted to run the stock gauge cluster. I don’t care for modern gauges bolted under the dash. I’m running a Gmc 302 straight six and didn’t want to mess with the 6 volt ford gauges and senders so I gutted the oil pressure and temp units and am installing the mechanical gauges out of a 47-53 Chevy truck I had laying around. I still have to figure out how to change the numbers on the oil pressure gauge. The Chevy sweeps the opposite direction. Help here would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

I blacked out a few numbers to see how it would do. Also had to weld up the slot on the cradle that holds the gauge to the cluster and then cut out a new mounting hole.

Attached Files:

AVater likes this.
  3. I used the gauges from a mid 60's Ford truck, they bolt right in the cluster. For the volt gauge I found an aftermarket gauge with the correct sweep and used the guts.

DSCN0178.JPG

Jalopy Joker likes this.