Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-50-51 Mercury Rear axel

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Junkcarguy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Junkcarguy

Junkcarguy

Ok ok so I have done a million thread searches and keep getting the same answers on rear axels and gear ratios yes they were all geared to low or two high. So I’ll let the cat out of the bag it’s a dana44 rear axel 19 spline same a a early Jeep CJ as in they make lockers posi traction and limited slip all a phone call away they also make every gear set know. To man for it the carrier brake is 4.10:1 and lower IE 3.73 or 3.55 it’s all available there is no need to swap it my next piece of knowledge is axel strength you can order off the shelf cut to length Jeep axels for a 97-06 wrangler that are 30-32 spline and most the Dana 44 axel shafts are larger by a few thousandths than a ford 9in what you don’t get with a 44 is the third pinion bearing lastly are disc brakes you can pull them off a stock wrangler or grand Cherokee or buy one of the million kits available no need to swap in something else

2. you did not ask, but here is my opinion......i think before doing all of that i'd just swap in a 9 inch Ford rear end

many years ago i helped a friend with a `51 Mercury and we used a 9" we got out of a junkyard that had 3.50 gears , 5-1/2" bolt circle to use the stock Mercury wheels and was the perfect width.....i think maybe Bronco or an Econoline van?

with a 9 inch your choice of brakes and gear ratios is almost endless

3. desotot

desotot

57 and up fullsize ford pickups with a 9 ich 61 inches wide, has a 5 on 5'5 cicle or a 57 merc with a 5 on 5 circle and maybe 60 and up passenger car has a 5 on 4.5 circle. Lots of diff options too!

4. Sure it's a 44, and not a 41? too much conflicting info to "set in stone"....And- if this is true- And do correct me if I'm wrong- How come the HAMB has not recognized this in spades in the past, with several posts? More than a bucket full of posts regarding such........ If gear swaps were that easy, a caveman could do it. (lol), but seriously, years have gone by, with zero info/lack of, of a TRUE swap/replacement=carrier/gears......
    Not doubting, but it's one of those = have to see it to believe it, and has to be YOUR ride, and not hearsay.....
    Show us who are watching......

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a 41, not a 44.

51 mercules likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'66-'77 Bronco is the one. 58" wide, wms-to-wms, 5-on-5-1/2” wheel bolt circle.

Most commonly found native at 3.50:1.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

For what it's worth, the wheel mounting to wheel mounting surface measurement on 49-51 Merc is 61 1/4 inches.
    So is a 71-73 Mustang, but the BP is different. car#19.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Some Guy

Some Guy

1949 and early 1950 are Dana 41. Late 1950 and 1951 are Dana 44.
    I changed the gears in my Dana 44 to 3:55 and left everything stock.

9. Ok, your freaking me out........and in danger of breaking your lurker status.

10. The Automatic Rear End Ratio is 3.23 if you Can Find one.!
    the one in my Ride is 3.73 it use to be Standard now it Automatic.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

11. I had mine rebuilt by Randy’s ring & pinion. I was told it was a 44 with 4.27 gears. My 49 came with a OD. Stock drum breaks and had them metal arced.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. MarcoITA

MarcoITA

Hi guys,
    can anyone help me figure out what kind of axis is installed on my Mercury?

Attached Files:

13. Have a stock 41 W/ 3.94 from a non OD car. Drum to drum, lowering blocks, custom U bolts, driveline to a GM AT....... HMU!

51 mercules likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You provided your own answer!

upload_2022-8-4_15-33-13.png

Dana 44. Huge support in the aftermarket. Plenty strong.