Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Is One Horsepower?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

Haven't even finished the article yet, but damn does he do a great job of simplifying a concept many only barely grasp. Thanks for posting, great insight!

3. Good read friend. Barney had a way with words. Makes a difficult concept easy.

4. Old School Technology for sure !! Keep reading to part on Foot Pounds Of Torque !!! I love this stuff !!! >>>>.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This really becomes exciting when you consider that you can also factor the caloric value of energy used by the muscle mass of the animal, when you calculate all of the factors a horse and an engine are very similar, if you factor respiration, heat loss to surface area, friction and structural resistance you will find that an engine is not that much less efficient than a natural system, you also are not that much more in the emissions department when you consider the animal discharge as raw, once broken down and rendered inert they are close. when you use ethanol as your fuel source we become even more efficient. We can pull the fuel from the corn and still feed the horse or cattle the grain. If we went further to retrieve the free methanes from the bacterial decomposition of the animal discharge and use the heat discharge from all processes we would most likely surpass the efficiency of the natural system. Not bad for monkeys in pants.

6. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Great read, very easy to follow/read. I like how he compares examples like the two men, very cool indeed. Thanks for posting it!

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Barney is one of my heroes. I'm really sad I never got to shake his hand.

8. One smart dude!

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

10. Retrorod

Retrorod

Barney would be using an old "Papermate" pen my friend. I think BIC was not around at that time, at least not in the U.S..

None the less, that's very cool to consider. Barney was a thinker.

11. I got one of those old formulas

[​IMG]

12. Rathbone

Rathbone

"Of course you measure distance in feet" What else but the English system of measurements would anyone ever need?

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

It's guys like Navarro that helped bring hotrods, V8's and racing into the new 'atomic' age. , Thanks to the efforts of these early gear heads we have an affection for 32's, 57's and rails.

I wonder where the world would be without Navarro, Isky and Parks??.

More importantly,
    I wonder where Ryan would be without Navarro, Isky and Parks??.

(But I do think that Barney used a inkwell and not a ballpoint)...

14. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Excellent physics lesson. Inspirational.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Physics 101, as taught by a master. Really great stuff, cuts right to the heart of one of the things we're all deeply involved with . . . power and how to get it transferred to the ground.

Love the diagram at the top of page 2, showing the relative torgues of 1st, 2nd, and "top" gear. Beautiful practical application of that good old physics equation, torque = (force) X (length of the lever arm).

Great stuff, Ryan.

16. MattStrube

MattStrube

We were waiting in line at Franklin BBQ here in Austin, (it is the best in town for sure) and one of my buddies asked me a similar question, (what is the difference between HP and Torque). I sorta knew horsepower was a formula based on torque and that there were animals involved, but had to Google it. Thanks, this is much better than what I found.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

SAE has a description and explanation.

Part of it.

In the U.S. the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has, since 1903, defined one horsepower as the ability to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute, or 550 pounds one foot in one second. In Germany, however, the horsepower was established as the ability to lift 45,000 kg (there are 0.4536 kg to the pound) one centimeter (2.54 cm to the inch) in one minute, which translates to 98.629% of an SAE horsepower, and you'll just have to trust us with the math. The Germans, by the way, standardized the horsepower through a system of measurement called "JS," the abbreviation for the German term for horsepower, now classified as "DIN."
    The DIN rating has been adopted by the International Standards Organization - ISO - as the European standard. Nowadays we have the JIS, or Japanese Standards Institute. It rates horsepower the same as the ISO, but both are different (not by much, but they're still different) from the SAE. For practical purposes, consider them all equal. Okay so far?

You can see the rest here.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/201.cfm

18. jjsound

jjsound

I've never really got into racing, but this is the stuff that does it for me.

According to this article I currently have three "HAMB friendly" automobiles with a combined HP of 0 and torque is about the same.

Good readin'!

19. Ebert

Ebert

Okay, I cannot resist....saw Ryan's post this AM..here your go..
    [​IMG]

20. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

What an excellent example of automotive journalism,

21. olds215

olds215
    from C-more, OK

I've taken some mechanical engineering courses, and knew the "book" answers, but Barney's explanation makes visualization of torque and horsepower much easier. Especially interesting to me was his statement about a man being able to exert the same torque as an engine (albeit a small one at 180 ft-lbs). I wish Barney had been my ME teacher!

22. Seems I've read this before, but it's always interesting.

23. Gotzy

Gotzy

What he said, very interesting and easy read, great!

24. Hahahahaha...

I like how you so politely talk about horse shit and farts.

Monkeys in pants indeed. :)

25. autobilly

autobilly

Reminds me of being in Trade School, thanks for the interesting post.