Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Stylemaster shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

1948 chevrolet stylemaster--Im in the process of doing the king pins and control arm pins/bushings when Ive noticed that my shocks are dead,they move up/down with no resistance,what can i do-rebuild,fill w/ oil,The $450 for new ones are a lot,what else can I do besides buying new ones,Im so close to being on the road w/ this car-this will hold me up months,any info is appriciated -thanx

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

If the bushings are worn, they will need a rebuild or replacement.
    If the bushings are still tight, fill with hydraulic jack oil (move the arm up and down, while refilling) and check if the seals are still good and hold the oil after some driving.

You can drive if just the seals are leaky, but it will be more bouncy, as the upper half of the reservoir remains empty and only the lower valve gets some action.

http://www.applehydraulics.com/shocks.htm is probably the best place to get them rebuild.
    Most have them upgraded to the heavy duty version which is also 15% stiffer for performance.

3. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Road runner ,thanks for the info,a litle more relaxed now($450 wasnt sit`n to well with me) Now I know most likely they can hold me off for a while. Closer to get`n on the road-thanks so much!