Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Plymouth 4d build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6berry, Sep 17, 2009.

1. 1949P17BC

1949P17BC
    from Ballwin MO

I appreciate your effort, but none of my business I noticed it appears you have the car on concrete blocks, that is one quick way not to be around to finish the project! Keep up the vision,

2. 6berry

6berry

i wish i could afford a 331 hemi (or any mopar engine) for my car:/ unless someone has one that they would like to donate to a young hot rodder:)

thanks farmer12!

I got the floor structure almost fully done. I just need a couple more pieces of flat stock and it should be ready to cover. check out the welds. not bad for a 110 flux core mig.

i also put the stock ebrake handle back in to measure some things and i need a cable that is slightly longer than the s10 cable but shorter than the plym cable. with one end from the plym and one from the s10.

3. 6berry

6berry

sorry my computer isnt working right now but i will post the pics later

4. 6berry

6berry

[​IMG]
    heres all the floor structure besides a little bit of flat stock.

[​IMG]
    Heres the new dehumped control arms with airlift 2500 bags

[​IMG]
    check out the new welds. this is the first one of the day but i was too lazy to take pics after welding

5. 6berry

6berry

finally got some steering and brakes and e-brake in the car. ill post pics after i get out of school

6. bct

bct

keep it up....summers around the corner

7. 6berry

6berry

heres 2 pics of the engine area with steering, brakes, and throttle!! i cut the steering shaft by the steering box and used the steering shaft from the '48 inside of it to lengthen it. the brakes just involved measuring and drilling some holes in the firewall. for the gas pedal i needed to make a pivot/mounting point so i made it out of the stock mount and some flat stock.

Attached Files:

8. 6berry

6berry

9. mtza426

mtza426

6berry,
    wow, everything you've done looks great!
    i have a 53 dodge wagon, i've been contemplating a frame swap.
    you provided good info, good visuals and a good example.

you've definitely got me thinking frame swap.
    i'd like to go with a dakota , if the fit is right.

i am keeping my options open right now...
    so anyone with specific info on other things mentioned:
    front disc kits, shock relocation, and rack and pinion kit,
    i'd appreciate it...

thanks,
    mike

10. 6berry

6berry

i dont have any personal experience with any of these but from what ive seen the shock relocation and front disc brakes are relatively cheap and easy. the rack and pinion could get a little bit pricey and harder to install. depending on ur budget(mine is really low) u could go with either one. a dakota might be the right wheelbase for urs but it was wrong wheelbase for me and the width would be better compared to an s10.

11. joel torres

joel torres

if you check my project page i used a car that doesn't have leaf springs in the rear and i reused everything disk brakes, cruise controll

first you have to see what the wheel base is and see what donor frame comes closes (figure if you have to extend or shorten new frame)
    and measure on both frames center of front wheel to rear of engine block ( this will tell you if you have to move motor on new frame )
    then factor in the room needed for rear hump to me the rest is easy

12. 6berry

6berry

i just got moving the proportioning valve to the frame and rerouting all the brake lines so within the next couple of days it should stop. ill post of pic of the new lines tomorrow in the day time. next thing i need to do is order the rest of the air ride parts so that it can stand up on its own. i think the total that i need is $582 + shipping from suicide doors.

I'll gladly accept any donations to go to my car fund.

13. 6berry

6berry

I got the air bags and plumbing in so now it can stand up on it own. the first pic is laying frame, the second is at full lift. thanks to sunny from newmatics for your great service!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my neighbor gave me an aluminum radiator from his yard from an unknown vehicle but i mounted that up with a custom bracket.
    [​IMG]
    i didnt like the way two flat trays that were on the stock inner fenderwells so i cut off the fronts and the flat bottoms. I still need to do something with them but idk what.
    [​IMG]
    heres a pic of the relocated proportioning valve and the brake lines. i followed the firewall pretty tight and it looks good.
    [​IMG]
    heres the interior with the shifter mounted and the switchbox on the left side. i still need to make a tray for the switchbox.
    [​IMG]
    this is the back half of the frame with the bags inflated. once i make the back frame rails then i will clean up all the hoses and wiring and weld in some wheel tubs.
    [​IMG]

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dude!! You're makin some really good progress.... what's up with the grille?

15. 6berry

6berry

for the grill im gonna go with something custom made out of tubing. not exactly sure yet, still looking for some ideas and input. right now its just plated over to keep the neighbors happy since the big open hole looks crappy

16. 6berry

6berry

im looking for some input here! do you guys think that a set of smoothies or moon discs would look better? the backs are gonna be 10 or 12 inches wide and i was thinking about going with some white walls if possible. what wheels do you think would look good?

17. farmer12

farmer12

I personally think some hubcaps with whitewalls would look great.(wouldn't go with the moons)

18. 6berry

6berry

19. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

I see you kind of a small air tank. Mine came with 3 gal had to up it to 8.5 gal to handle the bigger bags like yours. I used to have to wait for the tank to refill just to boost the back bags after filling the front. Just thought I would give you a heads up so your pump isnt running all the time.

20. farmer12

farmer12

21. 6berry

6berry

yeah the tank is like 4-5 gallons so itll fill up front and back but i need to upgrade it eventually anyways. right now i just have an air valve to fill the tank up cuz i need to find a compressor.

22. 6berry

6berry

possibly making a trip to autozone tomorrow to see if they have a mechanical fan (not a flexfan), fuel lines, radiator hoses, belts, and probably that ugly alternator mount (unless they have a better looking one than that). after that and a little bit of steel tubing it should be on the road!!!

23. 6berry

6berry

Havent updated in forever but as of now shes running! i ended up ordering a 6 blade steel fan and alternator mount from speedway and got the fuel pump mount and fuel lines ran. used a new belt that i found in my garage and got the radiator hoses from autozone by just guessing and got the right ones first try!
    i still need to finish the back half of the frame and find a permanent fuel tank then make the subframe for the trunk floor. ill try to post pics within the next few weeks

24. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I'm waiting to see some update pics!
    I'm diggin' the look of this more door slammed. I'm interested to see what you come up with for the grill. I skimmed through the 5 pages, focusing on the pictures and reading a bit, but what's up with the purple? are you keeping it that color? since i noticed that the frame is also purple. I think you could get away with it, and make it look really sweet and unique, depends on what color your painting those steelies your thinking of getting.

25. 6berry

6berry

thanks! ill get some pics right when i get back in town. for the steelies im probably gonna paint them purple to match. for the grille im gonna do it similar to ian berky's car but trying to keep it with the pointed shape of the front.

26. 6berry

6berry

[​IMG]here's a pic of my engine bay that I found on my phone

27. 6berry

6berry

in the pic u can see the speedway alternator bracket i modified, the radiator hoses i got from autozone, and the new fan and spacer

28. 6berry

6berry

FINALLY SOME PROGRESS!!!!
    I started with the wiring. I ordered a 20 circuit harness from rebel and got most of the wires routed to where they need to be now its just a matter of hooking up the wires. I didnt have enough time at the shop to get pictures but i will take some next weekend.

Also im looking for a pair of 53 buick headlight bezels and the sheetmetal from the fenders for my car. OR if anyone has any other possible headlight idea that would be great.

29. joel torres

joel torres

I have extra stock headlight setup if your missing it

30. 39plymouth

39plymouth

I have a set of front fenders but im in wa.. dunno how shipping would be... make me offer if interested ill get u some pix