Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Ford shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jgb7038, Jul 5, 2009.

1. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Very nice looking engine! Love the red w/the aluminum. That's the look I'm going to try to get in the future - thanks for the inspiration! :cool:

2. oldman2

oldman2

Glad to see some update pics, engine looks "kick ass", best of the New Year to you and yours.

3. You got that right. When that motor is installed in the black truck, it'll look even better.

jgb7038... My hat's off to your commitment and workmanship.
    Can't wait to see it in paint.

What color(s) for the interior?

4. reaper71

reaper71

been looking at your build today this is one hell of a "shop truck" i wouldn't want to put a thing in the back when it's done. real nice work

5. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Well I have been sanding on this truck for a while now,feels like forever.But thursday I ended up getting it to work,(borrowed a enclosed trailer),and prepped it for paint.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A buddy I work with,who is actually a painter,offered to help me out.So we spent a very long friday night and a little bit shorter saturday and got the truck sprayed. Its no show vehicle, but I pretty happy with the way it came out. Its about 150% more "finished" than I thought it would be when I started this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realized this morning that we forgot to paint the tailgate hinges,so that will need to be done later.Going to bring her home on monday so I can get it built.Need to clean up the front frame,paint the front suspension,install the motor/trans,etc,etc..........at least it will be more fun than blocking damn primer.....

6. oldman2

oldman2

Man that thing looks great, the red inside just pops next to the black, great job. Yeah sandings a bitch, things will just get better from here on out for your build. Keep us posted, later.

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just read this thread all the way through and this is one cool build! Looking forward to your progress. Subscribed.

8. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Wow!

and that engine is toooo good looking to be covered up!!

9. I really like how you stretched the cab, among other things.
    :cool:

10. Jantrix

Jantrix

After cruising through 11 pages of fantastic work, I gotta say, you cruised right on past "nice little shop-truck" and are speeding straight towards "Popular Hot Rodding Cover Girl". Imagineering at it's finest.

11. reaper71

reaper71

Damn my man that interior is "sick" it looks like base red? looks awesome

12. Foppa

Foppa

Loving this car, Such an inspiration for me to finish my -47 olds.

13. henny496

henny496

A friend of mine sent me this link (Hellfire Jim) I really like old trucks and am really impressed with your creativity and innovation
    You have done a fantastic build
    Tom

14. Patrick46

Patrick46

WOW....this truck is gonna be so frikken cool!!!

The black looks great!!! (gonna put any graphics on her too...maybe bring somma that red outside??)

It's builds like this that keep me inspired to finish mine!! Great job!!

15. 42 chevy

42 chevy

WOW! I normally like fenders on these, but your's kind of changes my mind. I love the red with that black. That is one unique ride. Great work.

16. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I admit i was not to keen on your ideas after seeing the first page and did not keep up with the thread.Today i check in on it and i'm impressed you did a good job on the truck.

17. You, sir, are a workaholic!,...very nice work. ...a couple of suggestions I'd make, if I may:
    to me, the grille would look better xtended down 3-4 more inches, the hood sides would look good with some horizontal elements (like 35 Chevy truck hood side louvers, etc) to break up the bulky-ness of the side view of the truck; and a taller rear tire mite improve the looks some. I'm thinkin the truck would look better with a bit of a rake, down in front a bit., taller rear tires mite acomplish this.
    Just some of my thots, don't mean to criticise your great work.(maybe I don't know what I'm talkin bout)

No one will know the amount of time/work put into this truck unless they saw this build thread. Thanks for all the posts, keep em comin.
    I like those "monkey face" Fords. Any info on that 37-8 Mopar coupe in your garage?...I like those too.

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow ! Paint already! You make me feel like a slacker ! You must be pretty stoked congrats, I cant wait to see it get assembled .

19. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

With the truck back home,have been trying to make some progress.Got the front frame and suspension clean and painted.Eventually the front suspension will probably get powder coated,but this will let me get a good idea of which way to go with the final finish on it.Also went through and installed the new tie rods,tightened and and put thread locker on all the bolts and added the cotter pins where needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanted to get the grille and headlight rings chromed.Wanted to double check the fit of them so I bolted the lower front sheet metal and headlight buckets on.This is also the first time its been together with paint on it.(I wanted to see how it looked too.....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With everything double checked,I pulled the sheet metal off to make room for the motor and trans.Managed to get it installed without chipping any thing......just got lucky I guess..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Patrick46

Patrick46

Holy crap...you're really making headway on this!!! Excellent!!!

21. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Damn looking good, Amazing work its awesome how far along you've come cant wait to see it finished!

22. oldman2

oldman2

Looking good my man, looking good.

23. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I'll be keepin' an eye out for this one this spring! :cool:

24. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Looks awesome! can`t wait to see it completed!!

25. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Joe, finally found your post!!! The truck looks so awsome glad we came over to see it. Sure wish you could have gotten it to Detroit, but then theres the whole summer, I think you may have motivated rob enough to do a few shows with the Lincoln this summer, if we don't sell it first.

Hi to Julie :)

26. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Joe this truck really shows some talent of your build skills. I was happy Debb and Rob took me over to see the truck with fresh paint. I have to say the dash and the work that went into building the hood were my favorite parts of this hotrod. Cant wait to see it on the road!

27. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Well time sure is flying by,thought I would update this build again.I have been working steadily on it every night and on the weekends. As it sits right now,the truck is has 95% of the wiring done,just need to tie up a few small connections as its re-assembled.All the brakes are rebuilt,lines ran,just need to do the final bleeding of them.Gas tank is installed with sending unit,lines ran from the tank to the pump.Transmission cooler installed,lines ran,fluid added.

The interior is back together,heater,wiper assembly,and all gauges are installed and hooked up.All the "trim panels" and set in place ready for the upholstery.Reshaped the arm rests and painted them. Installed the console and rear storage boxes. Installed the new window regulators,and all the new glass is made and installed.

Been working on all the "little" stuff lately,trying to get all the fittings for the fuel lines,vacuum lines etc... Had to make some custom alternator brackets because apparently everyone is expected to run the alternator on a sbc on the drivers side and run a long water pump. Im running a short pump and mounted mine on the passenger side.

So the basic idea of the rambling is that Im getting real close to having a running truck! So here are a few pictures of all thats been going on......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. reaper71

reaper71

Looks really nice! are you going with red leather or something else?

Mark

29. sinks88

sinks88

Amazing! thats all I can say!

30. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Thanks,and yes the interior is going all red just not leather(thats outside of my budget).