Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Ford shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jgb7038, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

2. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Nice work. Its really coming together.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

This just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for keeping us updated.

4. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Very cool build and awesome craftsmanship. I'm gonna steal that wheel barrow idea as I have 6 of them around my property and there are three different sizes for different setbacks. Hell, it's almost like it's their intended use..:D

5. TexasDart

TexasDart

Looking good....are you going to louver the side panels by the engine?

6. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Because Im planning on driving the wheels of this truck,I decided to put in a good windshield wiper system,(rain happens). I was able to get a factory type replacemet kit for the truck.It included eveything but the wiper arms and blades,and its already set up for a 12volt system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I could install the wiper assembly,I needed to make some room under the dash.I removed the old 48', and 59' dash board braces.The dash is actually alot more rigid now,being its 11 plus inches narrower and has a 1" sqaure tube lower brace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the space opened up the wiper assemby went right in.It even cleared the fire wall recess.I just have to add the lower supports to make it nice and solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And TexasDart,Im trying to decide if I want louvers on the panels or not.Originally I did,now Im not so sure.I figured I would wait till I get all the major parts mocked up then decide.

7. TexasDart

TexasDart

It just looks a little 'flat' right now...might break up the side panels and take your eyes away from the other lines in that area.

8. Hey jgb7038;

What color are you thinking about painting it?
    Solid, 2-tone, or any other designs in the paint?

I was going to try some photo editing and see what I come up with. Just wanted your input.

Thanks, Bill

9. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Im leaning toward a solid color.But feel free to try what ever you would like,you never know I might like it better than what Im thinking about.

10. Patrick46

Patrick46

I know, I know!!!!....robin egg blue for the bottom half, with a nice beige for the top half!! :eek: (how 1990's can ya get??) :rolleyes:

11. Skidmore

Skidmore
    from San Marcos

So Sweet, how long have you been working on this build?

12. Just a few color and modification ideas.

- Exhaust opening modified - kinda proud of that!
    - Changed the bottom of the hood side panels - just playin around.
    - See the blue sample. Added hood side opening with 3 chrome bars running about 4 inches longer than the oval ended opening. It's very similar to the stock opening in a '38 Ford truck hood, except with about 1/4' wide chrome strips.
    - The first green sample has four side panel openings added; like the original hood side openings.

Let me know if there's something specific you'd like to see. This is just a hobby for me. I enjoy doing it.

What do you think?

____| \__
    -O-----O- Bill

Black Primer

[​IMG]

Turquois leaning to blue
    [​IMG]

Blue with hood side opening modified.
    [​IMG]

Dark Gray Primer
    [​IMG]

Similar to John Deere Green (just in case she think your tractor's sexy!)
    [​IMG]

G.I. Joe (might look better with ARMY insignias, if you're into that stuff)
    [​IMG]

Kina Yellowish Orange
    [​IMG]

Burnt Red
    [​IMG]

Bright Red
    [​IMG]

Yellow
    [​IMG]

13. bstie

bstie

Great Build! You have lots of talent and vision... Bill nice job with the photoshop!

14. One more idea...

Slightly taller tires and wheels for proportions. Even if not changing wheel size, maybe taller tires. ? ? ?

[​IMG]

15. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

I like the louvers on the side panels....seems to break it up a bit.

16. TexasDart

TexasDart

Maybe some vertical louvers...

17. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

WOW! Wish the rest of the build was that quick.Thanks a ton for doing that! Theres a few colors I would not have thought of,but kinda like. The side panels are still getting me.Thinking I want to have them louvered,but not sure what type.Searched a a few swap meets for used side panels with louvers that I liked,but most of them would have to be so cut up to fit my panels it wasnt worth the asking price.Also wanting to use the stock hood side trim pieces.They would be very similar in looks as the blue truck with the modified hood that you did.With that in mind,I was even considering geting a few extra side trim pieces and carrying them onto the side panels. But with the hood trim,was not sure how it would look with vertical louvers on the side panels.It seems that the accent/trim lines all are running horizontally,so I am trying to come up with somthing to carry that onto the side panels.

18. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Got started full bore in April of 2009,been going at it ever since.

19. Heres an issue as I see it.

Vehicles that used side panels with design elements (louvers) on them had a relatively short hood height (dimension A) compared to a much taller side panel height (dimension B). So it made sense for all the design element to be in the side panel and not in the hood.

[​IMG]

Your truck originally had all the design element in the hood and the rest of the side height was in the fender.

Now, (because of your awesome modifications and desire for way cool open wheelin') :cool:, your truck has the taller hood (dimension C) and relatively short side panels (dimension D).

[​IMG]

So what does this mean?
    1st - Absolutely nothing. The truck looks cool like it is. Awesome job! :cool:
    2nd - You could use something where the design is in both the hood and the side panels, crossing over where the hood stops and the side panels begin. ;)

For example, and this could be done with open ports in the metal (lots of work :eek:, lots of "man, I wish I could work metal like that" comments) or with painted graphics (much easier). The port or graphic (from top-to-bottom) would need to start off following the somewhat horizontal line like the top of the hood, and then have the bottom port or graphic proportionally spread out until it follows the downward slant of the bottom of the side panel. You could incorporate the bottom of the hood line into the nearest port or graphic at the hood line like this picture. :D

[​IMG]

In my opinion, this next picture doesn't look as good as the one above because the lines of the side ports tend to conflict with the bottom edge of the side panels :(. I don't think it flows as well (just my opinion);).

[​IMG]

So again, just a few more ideas to consider. But just remember this...
    It's your truck ;) and you will look at it more than anybody else. So do it the way you like the most. If you ever go to sell it, let the next owner pay you to make it like he likes it :).

Still... It's a way cool project. I can hardky wait to see the finished ride ! :) :D :cool: :rolleyes:

20. Hey, while you're making changes, just take a few extra minutes, cut your entire beloved project in half horizontally, and section it about 6 inches through the body and chop the top 2 more inches. It only took me about 15 minutes. Go ahead... you can do it!

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

21. custom300

custom300

I like it best with the detail on the hood sides or louvers

Kevin

22. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

v8steel,you definatly understand my dilemma.I really like your ideas,will definatle consider them.Having you work your photo magic has really given me a better idea of the finished project,(my wife thought it was really cool too),so thanks again.You can also see why I havent just jumped right in and louvered the hood sides. I have made it this far,and I would hate to do somthing to them and end up not liking it and have to make another set of panels. I will just keep moving on everthing else in the mean time...........

your last pic looks very cool.definatly would take ALOT longer than 15 minutes for me to do that..:D

23. Thanks for the kind words.

On the last picture, I see you obviously got my joke about the 15 minutes. Heck, the whole post was a joke!

If you come up with anything you would like me to try in photo editing, PM me and I will be glad to see what I can do. Meanwhile, good luck on your project and thanks for sharing it with the H.A.M.B.

Take care ! :)

24. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Got a little bit more done today. I had a small heater/defroster unit left over from another project,so I made a simple bracket and put it in the truck.I still need to install the defroster ducts yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also used the brake pedal assembly from the '70 pick up.It was a clutch truck originally,so I took everthing apart cut off what I did not need and reassembled what was left. I ended up with a much narrower assemble to put in the '48.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a new mount plate for the booster/master cylinder assembly and mounted it in the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jagrod

jagrod
    from Landosnow

Hey jgb,
    I am very impressed with your work on this truck, and appreciate you posting the pics to the thread. its great inspiration to get me out to the shop. When I look at your hood I see two different pictures in my mind; the first is a series of large (2" wide) vertical inverted louvers starting short at the grill and getting bigger as they go rearward, and the second is three large curved horizontal reverse teardrop shaped cutouts that would echo the lower line of the hood and tie the side covers into the hood and echo the hood line. Hard to describe, so I will try to sketch it up and post it here later. The guys above are way more talented with computer software than me. I am more comfortable with a pencil... anyway great work, and an inspiration to us all.

26. JGB;

I "took a whack at it" on some of your photo choppin suggestions.

I think the grilles that look good with the floating bar styling are the grilles that are wide and not too tall. Then 1 or 2 floating bars looks good. Maybe it was my mental block (or a skills limitation), but on this '32 style opening, I just couldn't seem to get anything to work out with some form of a floating bar. I'll keep my eyes open for something similar and post it if I get inspired.

Moving on ... As for your other grille suggestions, here's the original truck with no grille. Then several variations follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then... As far as adding about 1-1/2" of rake.

Original
    [​IMG]

Back end raised about 1-1/2".
    [​IMG]

Now a few flamed variations.
    Front
    [​IMG]

Front plus
    [​IMG]

Front plus plus
    [​IMG]

And some two-tone variations...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black & Off White
    [​IMG]

Black and Gray
    [​IMG]

27. JGB;

As far as color choices, here's something else I usually suggest to friends and have done myself. Look for scale models of your truck or something shaped close to it (yes you would have to modify it, too), then throw it together and paint it a color scheme like you're considering. I find that getting a three dimensional trial view of your colors will let you know if it is close to what you were thinking or totally way off!

If you don't like one color scheme, wait until the first try dries, then try again.

Great Progress. Keep it going!

See ya!

28. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

V8steel,

Thats frickin awesome! The grille pics help alot.I have been staring at that empty hole for quite a while now. I like the flames and your ideas for the two tone combos. Now I just have to decide which way to go...........

Thanks again for the great photo work!

29. jgb7038

jgb7038
    from Indiana

Worked on the gas pedal today.Used one I have had for a number of years.I know its from a late 80's,early 90's gm car.Dont remember exactly which model.

[​IMG]

I needed to make a mount for it to rest in. I chose to use a thick plastic.I cut a couple of small pieces to size. Screwed them together,then drilled down thru the center of the 2 pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing this made a nice channel for the pedal rod to pivot in.

[​IMG]

I drilled a hole in the firewall for the pedal rod to pass thru,and welded a couple of bolts to attach the mount.

[​IMG]

I passed the pedal rod thru a grommet,then thru the hole and into the new mount.

[​IMG]

I made a simple metal cover for it to finish it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Lookin' good!