Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 ford sedan to business coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewGuyOldFord, Nov 17, 2016.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks Steve....that help a lot. I think I understand it more now. I hate to be a pain but would love to have a picture or two of the trunk opening with the trunk lid up. I'm sure your trunk has finish panels in it but would like to see the weatherstrip channel from the trunk lid bumper holes down to the lower trunk pan. Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

2. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Ok guys..... confused once again. I'm trying to figure out what front spring to use on my 48 sedan/coupe. There is no way the front spring can have the shackles 45 degrees inward because the passenger side would hit the track bar mount. I took the old spring off a year ago and could have sworn the shackles pointed outward. Please please please help me order the right one with reversed eye. Pictures of a stock 48 ford front suspension would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

So... could someone post a picture of their front spring in their 46-48 ford with stock suspension? Thanks.

4. topher5150

topher5150

Are you using a stock spring with aftermarket shackles? I'll check when I get home but I believe they angle inward.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. rustythumb

rustythumb

shackles angle outward on '42-'48's, because they have panhard bars to control side-sway.

6. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I'm using a stock spring reversed eye with stock replacement shackles. Thanks rustythumb. That's what I thought but just couldn't remember. I am not happy with my attempt at the reverse eye spring do could you tell me ther spring width so I can order one? My shackles measure right around 43 inches where they mount to the axle. Thanks for all of your help.
    I also reinforced my motor mounts but can no longer show pictures of my motor due to ther changes I made.

7. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Alright, the frustration has really kicked in for me. WHAT I NEED....is a reversed eye front spring with the correct width(stock) and the right bushings for shackles which is stock replacements. My old spring shackles were leaned out towards the wheels and not 45 degrees inboard which now I know what I had was right seeing how inboard would hit the track bar. My spring is so messed up from me screwing with it that I don't know what the proper measurements are now. SO....what I am asking for is a part number or someone that has a 1948 ford reversed eye front spring with the proper bushings installed so that I can use the new stock replacement shackles with. Or, at the very least, the proper length of spring needed. Thanks for everyone's help on my project so far. BART.

8. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Does anyone have any pictures of what the duct work for a heater looks like under the hood and the heater unit on a 1948 ford? Some of the pictures I've seen look like there is something attached to the hood that closes down on a heater box attached to the firewall with a blower motor in it. Any pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. On You Tube check out DRX rust remover.Havent tried it ,but it looks good in video.

10. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Ok.... haven't stopped working on the coupe just finished up coaching wrestling season. After "The Moose" did a photoshop of my car without the stainless down the side I've decided that I want it on. So... anyone out there that did a trim delete could be my best friend. I need it for both short doors and passenger side quarter. I have the driver's side quarter from my sedan that's in good shape. It seems like the proper length. Any help would be appreciated.... thanks BART

11. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Ok...a question for the wisest of wise on here..... I'm attempting once again to install my front spring. I reversed the eyes and removed a few leafs. The car originally had the shackles pointing outward instead of inward due to the track bar which I intend to install that way also. My question is what do you do to take up the slack in the spring at the crossmember now that leafs are removed? I put it up in place and tightened the u bolts with the lower bracket and it gets tight but doesn't hold the spring tight in the crossmember anymore. Can I use some cut leafs on the bottom of the spring pack to make up for the missing leafs and take up the room that is allowing it to not get tight? Im at a loss here.... need some advice and help.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I weld steel to the U bolt crossbars. So in essence it makes the lower bars taller so they reach into the crossmember deeper. If you have a 1/4" gap, weld a piece of 3/8" steel to each crossbar. It doesn't need to be welded all the way around, just a good bead on each end. Then you could cut them off later if you adjust things again. Save your leaves in case you discover you need them later.

IowaMercMan likes this.
  13. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Another dumb question.... how the heck do you get the shifter mechanism off a 58 Ford column? I want to remove the eke assembly and it seems like it's pinned or something behind the turn signal cam. Help please.

14. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

MAYDAY MAYDAY....... my 1958 Ford instrument cluster fell and broke the plastic cluster face. I need a new one.......HELP!!!!!!

15. Make sure you know which trim you actually have. True '48 side trim has a 'V' profile, the '47 trim is teardrop shaped and they're hard to tell apart from a glance. The good news is Bob Drake is reproducing most of the '48 trim, the bad news is they don't make the 'short door' quarter trim which is longer than the tudor sedan/long door coupe trim. They do have the short door trim though. No one is reproducing the '47 trim that I'm aware of, I had to hunt down my cowl pieces and settled for 'restorable' bits (dented all to hell, but my local trim fixer did a good job).

16. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Ok....I have a question. How much can I space the transmission crossmember down(unslplit wishbone) before messing up the geometry of the front end? I have a 302 and t5 in the car. I could try to space the tranny up a little also. Thanks 20190922_135735.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Squablow

Squablow

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, but I think if you space the wishbone down it will increase the caster angle and also probably put some twist/bind on the leaf spring shackles at the front. The ends of the wishbones could be pie cut and welded to make up the change in angle I would think, but I would think anything more than a couple of degrees would put too much caster into the axle and make it harder to steer.

If you did the math, you'd need to know the distance from the center of the axle to the center of the wishbone, which would be the radius, then Pi x 2R would give you the circumference of the 360 degree caster. Then, if you take that number and divide by 360, that will tell you exactly how many inches you can change the caster, per degree.

So let's say the center of axle to center of wishbone pivot point is 50 inches. If C=pi times 2R then the diameter of the circle is 314 inches (about). Now divide that by 360 and you get .872 (about) so for every .872 inches you drop the wishbone, the caster angle increases by 1 degree.

That's probably not so bad if you only need like an inch, but if you're going to make this a taildragger, that's already going to add in some caster, so that should be taken into consideration.

Also, my math might be totally fucked so if it is and someone can explain it better don't listen to me. But that's how I understand it.

18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It depends on how high the back of your car is, The height of the back of the car also affects the caster angle. Get a older caster/camber gauge and do a caster sweep and it will tell you what you need or can do. This is easier than trying to do the math. Hope this helps, Frank

19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Well...I started to separate the roof and mock up the new drip rails. This is my first test fit. Still needs a little massaging above the quarter window but happy so far. I am removing the whole upper roof for final install plus to cut the business coupe front section into the sedan front. Thanks for following along. Hope you're happy KOOLKEMP.... you created this monster. 20190925_190127.jpeg 20190925_190135.jpeg

20. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Still haven't lifted the roof off for the drip rails but have been welding stuff together elsewhere. Cut the inner fenders for the fenderwell headers a little nicer. Finished welding passenger side lower quarter panel. Went through trim and realized my mind was not as good as I thought. I need short door trim as I have long door trim due to what this car started as. And I'm slowly getting exhaust made for the car from an EBAY do it yourself kit. I'll post some pictures later. Also got the lower steering shaft mated to a 58 Ford upper shaft to fit my steering wheel.
    20191028_192010.jpeg 20191021_183917.jpeg 20191020_134550.jpeg 20191013_112503.jpeg

Hamtown Al, CaddyRat, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I am in awe of your work. Does anyone have more info on the Surface Conditioning tool? I cant find it at Lowes or the Porter Cable website

22. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks manyolcars. Trust me....it's beginners work compared to the stuff done on here. Learning each day and doing it on a budget. I try to make stuff instead of purchase it. Guess that's why it takes longer. Hopefully I'll get to see this as a complete car. Thanks for the kind words. The surface tool I used was from Eastwood and wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Haven't seen them in other brands so as to where to purchase them I don't know.

oliver westlund likes this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

eastwood has it for $349 on ebay

24. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

It's $189 on Eastwood's site.

25. Terraizer

Terraizer

26. topher5150

topher5150

Hey if my beginners work looks half as good as your's I'll be twice as happy.

Thor1 likes this.
  27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks Terraizer and topher5150. My approach is somewhat different than most.

Greg Rogers likes this.
  28. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I got some more done. Decided to shorten my long door garnish mouldings into short door ones after seeing the price for short door ones. 20191104_172751.jpeg

Squablow likes this.
  29. belair

belair

Looking good. I love dash transplants, and yours looks good.

30. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like that you made it a short door coupe.. My favorite....