Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 ford sedan to business coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewGuyOldFord, Nov 17, 2016.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Hey Gary Addcox.....Could you send me a picture of your radiator and fan arrangement? Thanks.

2. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Another question. I got new front leaf spring shackles and the bushings are 1 inch with them and the front spring I took out are 1 1/8. Where do I get the right bushings? I got them from midwest early ford. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Here's pics of mine....

Fan 1.jpg Fan 2.jpg Mount.jpg

The fan hits the radiator rather low, but I've have no issues with overheating. I've included a pic of the motor mount to give an idea of how low my motor is.

4. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks Steve. I see you have a mustang II front end in yours. The pictures help alot. Thanks again

5. Yeah, and I'm not all that enamored with it either. I hope to convert to Jag at some point.

I'll also note that the radiator appears to be a custom-built unit and I believe that it's mounted in the six cylinder location as it's ahead of the radiator support 'yoke'.

I have to say I've been impressed with your conversion... lookin' good!

6. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks. I have alot of welding to do yet. It seems like everything I buy is wrong. These shackle things pissed me off. I have to round up a division bar for my door and a front turn signal license enough I'll probably buy new. Slow and steady I guess. Thanks for replying and following along Steve. Hopefully it will be a car someday.

7. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Got some more work done. The 58 ford dash is mounted and some finish work started. And welded in the rear trunk pan. Not much but progress is progress. 20180916_160857.jpeg 20180916_160922.jpeg 20180916_182552.jpeg 20180916_182559.jpeg 20180916_181821.jpeg

8. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Still wanting to see pics of a SBC installation? IMG_3315.JPG IMG_3316.JPG IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3320.JPG IMG_3321.JPG IMG_3326.JPG IMG_3327.JPG IMG_3328.JPG

10. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Those are some tight headers. What ac setup is that and any shots of the inside? Thanks for the pictures.

11. lucas1946merc

lucas1946merc

Where can I get headers like that. I can't find that style for sbf, are they custom or can I pick them up somewhere?

Sent from my LM-G710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I bought them at a swap meet. They are for 1935-41 ford with small block ford. They actually fit pretty good. They are tubular automotive but I'm not sure they are produced anymore. I've seen other ones but not sure of their fit and they seem to have a decent price tag that goes along with them

13. topher5150

topher5150

14. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Topher5150, Until I get the right drivetrain angle with my homemade motor and trans mounts I can't give an exact measurement but as of now(which is close to final resting place), I have 3/4 of an inch of clearance over the factory steering shaft and shaft tube.

15. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

16. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Has anyone put a narrowed explorer rear in a 42-48 with chassis engineering parallel leaf springs and if so.... how much room do you have from wheel mounting surface to leaf spring? I have a ford Granada 9 inch in mine right now on CE parallel leafs but would like to install the posi disc brake explorer rear in mine. Thanks in advance.....BART

17. topher5150

topher5150

I remember someone saying that they had an Explorer 8.8 in their car and that it basically fit in place with out mods.

18. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks Topher. I wanted to know if a cut one would fit. They are roughly 56-56.5 inches when a short axle replaces the long side one. Thanks for all of your advice. I appreciate it.

19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Ok... question. What is the secret to getting the 3 on the tree shifter off the column on a 58 ford custom 300 column? How does it attach to the back of the turn signal switch bucket? Thanks. Also.... still looking for short door garnish mouldings.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's a Vintage Air system, I don't have any detail pics of it. Here's what I have.
    20180123_154240.jpg 20180123_154410_HDR.jpg 20180123_154342.jpg

21. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Need help ASAP. Could someone give me the measurements from a 47-48 busines coupe from the picture below? They are from the center of the holes where the trunk lid bumpers go to the bottom of the lower trunk weatherstrip channel. I know it goes in an arc but I followed my measurements with a metal tape measure in the best arc I could get. Thanks in advance to whomever can help me out. Screenshot_20181012-144708_Gallery.jpeg

22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Good save. I’m mating a Tudor with my convertible to save it. Will be repeating a lot of the same steps you have. Nice job.

23. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks T & A. It's been alot of work but it was the only way I could afford a short door business coupe. I'm an amateur as far as body work and such but so far I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. Definitely pales in comparison to alot of work that's done here on the hamb. Once I get these measurements and get this backend all lined up and tacked together, The roof can come off and I can put the rain gutters on. Hopefully I can pull it off.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

I know it's not finished, but I would gusset the motor mounts.

25. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

That's next BJR. I want to get everything mocked up then weld for like a year.

Squablow, BJR and scrap metal 48 like this.
  26. I wouldn't get hung up on measurements... I'd install the trunk lid you plan to use, then adjust the trunk sides in/out until you get an even gap all the way around. I could measure mine, but mine needs this 'adjusting' too....

27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

28. The problem (which seems to be somewhat typical as I've seen multiple cars like mine) is the 'sides' can be in too far, leading to chipped paint at roughly where the quarterpanel/fender meet at the trunk flange. I haven't seen an issue with the trunk lids per se, it's the opening that's off. I'd install the lid, set your gaps at the top and bottom edges while centering these edges, then go from there. On mine, the fit is good all around except at the mentioned place; the sides need to be tipped 'out' just a bit, like a bit over 1/8". The gap at the bottom of the lid on each side is fine, the body runs 'in' as it goes up.

I can post some pics of mine tomorrow if you want; that'll show what I mean clearly.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  29. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Pictures would be great. I'm thinking the best solid trunk lid I have is the first fitting one.

30. Ok, here's the pics... sorry for the delay.

Trunk fit left 1.jpg Trunk fit left 2.jpg Trunk fit right 1.jpg Trunk fit right 2.jpg

Left to right:

1. The left side gap is reasonably even, but here's not enough. There is slightly more at the bottom so it is running 'in' just a bit. I suspect the whole flange will need to be moved out. Two-by-four and a sledge....
    2. Top where the fender/quarter meet is no gap, you can see the chipping.
    3. The right side is good at the bottom, right about the gap I'd shoot for.
    4. But you see the flange running 'in' as it goes up, so there's another tight spot, again where the fender/quarter meet.

Original fit on these isn't the best. If I ever get around to repainting this thing, I'll have a lot of re-fit to do, particularly the doors. This is a rust-free California car and as far as I can tell has had no major bodywork or accident repair done. I've looked at a more than a few 'survivor' (unrestored) cars and the fit on those was uneven too.

Hope this helps!