Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 Ford Running Board Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ridin dirty, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I have A 48 Ford 4 door sedan and it has aluminum running boards on it. Is that normal or is it a option? Im not sure if this car is a deluxe or standard car. Didnt Ford cover Steel running boards with rubber?

Attached Files:

2. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

3. My guess is somebody made them, not original.

4. 59ab

59ab

My 48 super deluxe coupe has aluminum running boards. I also had a late 47 Mercury that had them also.

5. 59 a is right, late 47 and 48 had some aluminum running boards. They also had aluminum cowl vents, front splash in front of the rad, rear center splash, and floorboards. They also only came in deluxe and super deluxe, I don't think they had a standard model in 46-48. Some of the deluxes came with radio delete, clock delete, and also a passenger ashtray delete. Pat.

6. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Thanks, Im not to savy on 48 Fords but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once!!! Im parting it out and I just wanted to know just in case someone asks me. Anybody need sheetmetal parts before I get out my sauceall?

7. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

According to "The V-8 Album" which is a publication put out by The Early Ford V-8 Club of America, in the section that covers 47-48 Fords & Mercurys they reference an article from a December 1947 published book, words to the effect....

"In the face of continuing sheet steel shortage, all automobile manufacturers are intensifing their efforts to replace sheet steel parts w/aluminum...Ford has made considerable progress in this direction". Then it goes on to list some of the items, the list includes...running boards, headlamp bodies, rear bumper stone delfector, front fender brace, cowl vent cover, floor board front panel & a bunch of other items.

It then tells that NOT every 47-48 Ford/Mercury had these items made in aluminum & it was sort of "use what they have" in production, no real system to it.

Old Fords rule.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,
    Cheatercarl

8. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Still Learning something new everydaying. Thanks Carl

9. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Some of their optional Fresh Air heaters, used aluminum air duct back to the firewall. Had misc. items on the merc's made of aluminum in the front end also.

10. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Looks like the ones on my car, which should be original. Best I can tell mine is an early '48 (low engine number, voltage regulator was date coded from the fall of '47, studs instead of head bolts on the I6.)

http://home.comcast.net/~fangle/PICT0006.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~fangle/48_inside.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~fangle/48_inside2.JPG

Please ignore the speakers, they were free stuff I had around. They won't stay there.

I could use the steel mounts from the frame to the boards that are at the center of the car, mine are rusty. Well, OK, they are rusty enough to be mostly missing.

11. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Hey, 48fordor:I may have the running board brackets. Can you send me a picture of what you have, so I can compare. If so, send to [email protected]