Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 Ford conv from swiss junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Wax on Wax off, Danielsan, that will come clean with a little elbow grease.

2. rustyhood

rustyhood

That looks like a fun project! Another one saved from the crusher. Great find and good luck on your build!

3. George G

George G

Someone should be able to send him some '48 floor pans....

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Cool project!

5. adventurer

adventurer

Need a lot more than just floors....

6. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Your one ambitious dude! Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

7. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

If it would be of any help, I have a copy of "Chiltons Motor Age Body and frame manual" first edition 1950. It has 12 pages of info for body shops on 46-48 bodys and frames. Shows all the parts and trim, with part numbers. Also shows the convertable top, with all parts shown and part numbers. Body electrical diagrams, frame dimentions, and the cost for all parts in 1950 dollars.

Jeffrey

8. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

I admire your ambition. I don't think I'd have the same motivation over here to restore a 1950's Fiat Cabrio in similar shape. The ability to get parts would be a nightmare.

9. freebird101

freebird101

10. Hello Adventurer

I have a 1941 i'm parting out in the Netherlands with a nice front floor
    Don't know if it's the same as a 46-48 floor but it's cheap and in Europe so no EU import taxes.

11. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I love to see cars like that saved.

12. Good to see that saved

13. edweird

edweird

14. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

41-8 doors for a convert are all the same, just the window frame is different.

15. Rogga

Rogga

I know the previous owner on this -48 conv!!

Mr Miyagi from the movie Karate Kid!! , he was on tour in europe to promote the movie and drank to much Jägermeister, and forgot where he parked. He want his convert back!!:D

Nice project you found. They are still out there, but a convert in europe?! Amazing!!

If you gonna do a carson top, I´m interested of your quarter window frames.
    I have a similar major project that needs a lot of parts.
    Keep on welding!:)

// Roger in Sweden.

16. adventurer

adventurer

ahahaha.....
    I am going to do a Carson top, if you want the rear window frames, you can have them....get in touch with me, have some extra parts and maybe can help....

17. Janne

Janne

To my knowledge it is same.

18. adventurer

adventurer

thank you, but am already combining the floors and other stuff from a 41. Thank you anyway for the offer.

19. Regarding lowering; Those front and rear springs have something like 13 leaves. You can start by removing every other leaf along with reversed eyes on the main leaf. Add or subtract leaves until you get the height you want. It worked for me on my 41' convertible. Good luck on your project.

20. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ADVENTURER...you have started with the worst image of a car i have witnessed. i don't see anything even close to a car. MR. my prayers are with you, because your going to need devine intervention. i honestly can't believe my eyes. man i need a 6 pack...POP.

21. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

22. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Great car, and I love where you are going with it. Looks to be a cool project.

23. I've had mine since 1956. Good luck with the custom project.

24. Tim McNees

Tim McNees

[​IMG]just picked this up at a swapmeet. hour after I got it home I had it running

25. adventurer

adventurer

Ok, time to update my thread.
    The frame has been rebuilt, with some Posies stuff front and back. The rear axle is Mopar B body, on the front is a 4 " dropped axle used with a Speedway crossmember.
    Found here a 57 Cadillac 365 ( dead) to be put together with a turbo 350. Installed in the frame, and trimmed some of the x member to have mount the engine as far back as possible.
    The floors have been redone with some sheetmetal, while rockers are repro. Bought a 41 parts car, and used most of the sheetmetal. Have changed the fenders and complete front to the 41 that is more rounded. Top has been chopped and carson top has been built, needs to be finished. Fenders have been molded to the body, and have been modified to remove the horizontal line, making them very rounded. Running boards have also been molded, and will be painted body color.
    I have now removed body for the last time, to finish the underside and apply undercoating . The frame will be painted semigloss black.
    Here are some pics of the build

26. adventurer

adventurer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  27. adventurer

adventurer

28. Great score. That will be an awesome Kustom!!

29. adventurer

adventurer

30. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

My ancestors were Swiss, so das ist "hammer!" I am continually amazed to see pictures of old American iron being rodded or customized in Europe or elsewhere. You really have your work cut out for you, but the vision that you have for it is cool. For you the cheapest fix for that floor probably would be to "roll your own." I know that you probably can find a good panel beater in the home of Ferrari and Maserati. Good luck, good work and keep us posted,