Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 Fleetline custom of a faster sort!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRO 48 fleetline, May 23, 2009.

1. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

A few pics of my 48 Fleetline build!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. That's awesome!

3. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

Cool body, cool dash................ nasty chassis.

4. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

:D Hot damn I love "clean"

5. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Thanks alot of subtle details in the car but wanted to keep an older feel to it aswell still in metal mock up the motors a 406 will have different wheels etc agian in mock up and about to come back off the frame to start smoothing it up aswell!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

What is your front suspension? I want to see more!

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A lot of work going into this one. Be sure to keep the progress pictures coming.

Frank

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  8. Mudville

Mudville

Looks awesome! Doing a great job with an often overlooked model of Chevy. Keep up the great work!

9. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Thank again guys!
    A little about the car, I have always wanted to build a nice custom with touches of just that custom and alot of show car detail and most of all haul ASS always loved pro stock cars and pro streets and mix in a very round curvey body and a low stnace! that was my motivation.

The front end is a mid 70's AMC pacer front peice, kinda of an old hot rodders trick, they fit well inside of late 40's and early 50's trucks and of course these 40's fleetlines, I prefered it over a simple mustang 2 beacause it is a little heavery duty for the street and still light weight,
    also comes with disc brakes rack n pinion and a bigger sway bar and best part didnt have to cut my front frame rails there 48 and it welded up real nice. Car also will be on Air Ride and has a narrowed 9" with 4.56 gears and a 4-link.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the body there has been a good bit of subtle mods:
    Flipped the bumpers moved them closer to the body
    also built new lighter bumper brackets new valance panels filled the bumper bolts.
    Frenched the headlights smoothed most all the trim except handles front
    Welded the fenders to the body and smoothed them up made a tilt front end and opend the top of the hood early mercury style.
    custom built new rockers and wrapped them under the body to the body lip for a smoother transition under the car on the sides.
    Dash is custom built and has a 57 chevy truck gauge cluster.
    raided drive shaft tunnel to clear air ride.
    smoothed door jambs and firewall master cylinder is on the frame.
    custom built inner fender wells etc.
    Also built a ram air systme for fresh air, built a scoop and mounted it under and behind the old rad support and ducted a 5" tube from the hole on the rad support to a small hole that will shoot air into the custom bird scoop that open on the back side and will shoot directly into the air cleaner.
    Also running solid motor mounts and with the theme of cleaning up the engine compartment i wanted to keep all the things low and clutter free so i mounted my alt. on the lower right side on the frame instead of the driver side that way i can still run my powrer steering pump down low aswell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are just a few of the littl ethings that ad up to big things in the overall picture of a built hope you enjoy love to answer any?'s take care George

10. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Engine:
    1970 400/406 4bolt arp studs through out
    10.5.1 Mahle forged flat tops clevite 77's
    Scat internally balanced crank and 6" rods
    PP Polished hurricane single plane
    750 mighty Demon
    210 cc pro-filer alumin heads 2.05 - 1.60's
    Lunati VooDoo solid roller 243/249 @.050 585 " lift
    Cloyes billet double roller with torrington bearings
    SFI dampner billet specialties pulleys
    Melling selct 15% over pump with stefs oil resticters
    7" quart pan with trap door and kick outs
    msd ignition
    CSR electric pump
    griffin rad. and electric fan
    Completly smoothed and deburred my engine block and painted and cleared it the body color as will be the frame too.

Tranny 350 turbo 3,800 stahl man valve body heavy duty internals
    4,56 gears 33x 19.5" rear tires
    car should weight any where from 3,000 to 3,100 lightened car a good bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sixtysicks

sixtysicks

Awesome. Totally Awesome!

12. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Thanks its comming!:)

13. I like the dog and the car

14. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Thanks i love your 46 dude and love the style looks cooool as hell!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

NICE. Excellent work man.

16. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

originally I was tossing the idea around of smoothing and de-buring my engine block then realized how much work it was for so little return....then I changed my mind....now I saw yours and changed my mind back....its worth it....devils in the details. I like it...

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Job! I've always liked these cars (46-48 Fleetlines) ever since I saw one done right in a "little" Rod and Custom 50 years ago.;)

18. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Thanks guys and yes im a big beleiver in the details and the time it takes to make them right, Everyone expects the big stuff to be nice body and paint but when the little things are done well it seperates the field quickly.

This engine took around 3 evenings to smooth up and a few more to prime and paint i think its worth it though.

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

outstanding!! i love the lines of those cars!looks fast sitting still

20. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Does the pacer front suspension unbolt from the pacer? What bolt pattern wheels? Looks like there is plenty of room to narrow it too!
    Like the column drop.

21. PoPo

PoPo

lots of great work, glad to see people not bash you for your style either! Amazing man. Thats one hell of a clean garage also. nothing on the counters, floor or walls.. how do you do it?

Keep the pics coming

22. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

You guys all have some impressive rides!
    As fr the pacer front end it is a nice unit anxious to see how it rides but it wasnt an unbolt unit although very easy to adapt to the front rails. plus it should look good smoothed up even though most will be covered by the inner fender wells.
    And as for the garage being clean thanks and thats a good ?, actually i have a one car sized shed next to the garage to keep all the ladders mower kids bikes etc in it. so thats the key to keeping it clean that and being very anal about cleaning up after my self.

But the car is comming, I have to fit all the gaps and get my hood mounted and lined up and new billet hinges mounted aswell, just at a point where i cant do it myself need an extra hand, And this build has been built all by myself fab work and metal work etc But some things you just need a hand with. The front clip has a ton of work in it and still has to be lined up etc before i can break the car back down so i'll keep you posted.

23. chevyshack

chevyshack

Love the car. But im alittle confused. Everyone here is so anal about "traditional" but ive seen no negative comments about your billet wheels. Maybe there is hope for this site after all! HA! Just being sarcastic. Nice car by the way.

24. FLAT6

FLAT6

Looks like a very nice car, and well done I might add. I am a bit concerned on the alternator mount though. Is it mounted to the frame? If so you will surely snap belts or break the mounts and alternator if your motor is not solid mounted to the frame as well. I didn't get a good look at the motor mounting method, but I would definitely pay close attention that you aren't going to get too much relative motion between the engine and the alternator.

Mike

25. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Mike good ? and its one about a million asked about aswell lol YES its a solid motor mount motor.
    And about the moderness of the car it does has the obvious pro street treatment, as for the wheels there on for mock like i mentioned going with a traditional style wheel i'll get you some pics of them no need in scrathing them all up in this stage.
    And i really wanna keep an older feel to the car when you first look at it and keep the feel of a traditional car with a tea green two tone color not a bright modern color. also some of the 40's touches like leaving the handles and orginal tail lights. but just clean up all the ugly like i like to call it flipping the bumpers helped for some reason they just looked upside down from the factory imo.
    Heres the wheels im leaning towards 15x15 rear 15x4 fronts super light.
    http://centerlinewheels.com/view_wheels_detail.php?sw_id=718

26. chevyshack

chevyshack

I like those wheels your leaning towards as well. There still billet though. Id like to get those in a 16" front and 17" rear. Im leaning more towards the centerline dagger wheel myself.

27. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Yep there billet sorry lol
    I just love the stlye and ecs the fact they make this cool style in a race car size wheel and still has an older look and feel to them.
    Yeh those daggers are sweet to dont see many people running the centerlines everyones jumping on the billet specialties race wheels they just came out with.

28. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

A few more pics....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

A few pics of the radiator support i had too fab being the front clip tilts.
    The orginal rad. support could not be used so i fabbed up a support that mounts at the bottom and holds it in place all bolts are to the frame down low.
    Also the old rad. support is now my ram air that i built! A scoop i incorporated onto the back of it pulls air from the front grille into the tube that will shoot air directly into the air cleaner via a tri five style bird i built that is open in the back!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

WOW , nice ride !I am impressed.