Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 chverolet steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MarkKoch, May 4, 2010.

1. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Finally got the stylemaster on the road.......the steering box has a lot of play -like scary amounts,The book I have is very basic as far as repairs and isn't to clear on how to tighten/adjust it.Its on a 48 stylemaster.Was wondering if any one had clear instruction w/ pictures?I just did king pins(had machine shop do them)and new sway bar ends and bushings-soThe steering box is next-If I cant adjust it well enough,where can I get a replacement-thanks

2. Might try over at Chevytalk, there is a TON of great tech info on early Chevys over there.

3. F&J

F&J

There are 2 adjustments:

one is up and down freeplay on the worm gear. That would be needed if the steering wheel shaft can be felt moving up or down at the steering wheel. It's not likely.

The other adjuster pushes the sector (pitman shaft) deeper into the worm. It is a slot screw with a jamb nut. Turn your steering wheel 1/4 turn to one side with wheels off the ground. Turn the screw in until you feel it get a bit snug. Turn the steering wheel back to center; there should be a very slight drag barely felt at the center.

You really need to look at the pitman arm shaft first, to see if the lower bushing is worn out badly. See if the shaft is running true as you rock the steering wheel with tires on the ground; it likely will be worn out and flopping in the bushing.

4. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

thanks guys I will check that site out tonite and check the info you gave me f&j and get this figured out

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't forget... make all steering box adjustments with the pitman arm disconnected from the box or the tie-rod. Adjustments made with a load on the box are not true.

6. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Will do looks like I will need to remove my oil filter/housing bracket to get to it.It sits blocking access to it

7. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Thaught I would update my progress ,installed pitman arm bushings and adjusted worm gear/steering box -all play has been removed.The oil filter does need to be removed to access the steering box adjustment,If you have a babbit style inline 6 it sit`s right on top the steering box