Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 chevy styleline brakes adjustment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, May 25, 2006.

1. marq

marq

Any advice on how ,tips hints and the best way to do ...........Marq

2. marq

marq

ok try again.................anyone?...........marq

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I don't know if they are the same as 49-52s, but I've heard they are hard to adjust and never stay put. The "self-energizing" type i think they are called. supposedly 53-54 are better, I put discs on mine. sorry I can't help.

4. marq

marq

Anyone else help as i have to look at a mates car the weekend and i can hardly run down the shop and buy a manual............Marq

5. No need to run down to the shop for manuals...http://chevy.tocmp.com/

I'm not sure if the years are interchangeable, but there's a '49 brake service manual on there.

Bryan

6. burntclutch

burntclutch
    from N.E. La

get a screwdriver,pop out the rubber or metal covers on the backing plates,use screwdriver(flathead)to turn the adjusters to when wheel is turned you can here a good amount of drag but wheel still turns fairly easy,do this eight times or all four wheels. get in car drive down the street(good wide claer street)and hit the brakes,if it swerves left more adjustment needed on the right etc.pull emergency brake(if cables are adjusted)there should be about2 inches travel before tension on the handle will be felt(do this parking brake thing before you leave the driveway).If it stops halfway straight and you have descent pedal your done untill 12-14 days later when you will probablly do it again(if you drive it everyday).