Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 Chevy coupe chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Hi folks!
    Got a 48 chevy coupe in for a roof chop a while ago and have been working on it for some time now. The owner have allready done some customizing to it and I will only do the chop job then he will finnish it by him self.He had a good vision of how he wanted the chop to look so I contacted Rik to make some photoshops. One request from the owner was that the quarter window could not be too small and Rik came out with some nice options.

The car to start with

[​IMG]

Here´s the version we decided for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, Squablow, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  2. Looking good! The rendering by Rikster is beautiful, it will be a neat car.
    I know you are just doing the chop but I am curious if the owner has a final color in mind.....

3. Nice! Can't wait to see the transformation.

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I like the way that chop will turn out.

5. Quintin

Quintin

Awesome! Very similar to mine

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  6. Thanks. He was talking about a dark green small metalic.
    Thanks, Stay tuned
    Thanks . Glad you like it

Wow. That looks awesome. Very nice proportioned chop.

Cut out 3″ in front vertical amount,lowerd the roof support 3 1/2″ then put the roof back and it looked really ok and all the measurements was taken from Riks photoshop. Instead of shortening the quarter window in bottom I split the upper bow and extended it to line up with the rear corner.Will make a new radius later on when everything is in place and aligned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a new filler piece for the door window frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filled in the gaps in the roof as well.

[​IMG]

Stogy, Squablow, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  7. Nice job on the filler pieces! You make look so easy......

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

You "Chop Guys" continue to amaze me..
    Awesome work, and yes will be a really cool lookin' car.. :)

WildBill3 likes this.
  9. Hey Kenneth, nice car, good work and for sure Rik had another great hand.. is the owner on the H.A.M.B., too? would be nice to see the further progress on this Chevy. cool treatment on the exhaust/rocker combo.

Carsten

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

baddass. Thats just a great job.

11. Sporty45

Sporty45

Nice! I'm liking it a lot :cool:

12. Thanks Carsten! It´s a really good help to have a photoshop with all the measurements and with Rik´s good eye half of the work is done. Sorry I don´t think he´s active on here but I will try to update it if possible.

Thank you guys.

Time to clean up around the rear window. I moved it forward 2 3/4″ and tilted it forward to where it looked right. The roof reached down over the window and the curve wasn´t all perfect. Was prepaired to make new roof panel and sail panels to make it ok again. Cut out a bit of the roof and the sailpanels and moved them around a bit and to my surprise they fit a lot better than I expected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof panel I moved forward to where it lined up with the window frame and cut it of in front where it meets the roof.The sailpanels I moved a bit to the side and they fit really great too. All I had to do was to make a filler piece between the roof panel and sailpanels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view of the new roof line.

[​IMG]

Lunatic, Stogy, verde742 and 9 others like this.
  13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Looking very nice. Thanks for posting.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. You work fast man! Gonna be slick!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is becoming one nice chop on that car. I like leaving the rear quarter windows long as that has always bugged me on a lot of chops I see on that body style.

Hnstray and verde742 like this.
  16. Thanks guys.

Now it´s time for the cat walk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new roof line
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cgc1958, martin53, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Awesome! Looks like it should have come that way from the factory.

18. You NAILED it! The quality of the work is amazing. I should have gone overkill on the bracing like you did. I ended up with a bad gap on the door to quarter. I've seen the same thing happen on other chops. Man, that's a cool taildragger.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Very inspirational. You make this look easy. I really love the proportions

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that looks great!

21. great job, great chop!

22. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice job.
    My only question is at the top of the roof panels you split into 3... doesnt the new angle where they meet the original roof piece leave you with a bit of a miss match angle? A little bit of a valley to fill in with lead? And what is the difference you get where they meet on a tape measure? Couple of mm to fill?
    Just asking because i've wondered about this on even the best looking chops. I want to get ready to chop mine in the future and i want to start lead practice...
    But man does that chop look good!

23. Thanks Pete. If it would have come this way from the factory it would have spoiled all the fun for us.:)

Thank you. One can never brace enough when cutting of the roof.

Thanks Devin

Thanks a lot

Thank you for the kind feedback. As for the roof there´s no miss match at all.The slope is perfect all the way. I was expecting a miss match my self and was all prepaired to make new panels instead .If you look closley to the picture where the ruler lays on the roof before it was cut out you can see there´s a dip about where I cut it. But when I moved the cut out panel forward the crowning of the curve came closer to the rest of the roof and there for the dip dissapeared. I was quite surprised my self but at the same time glad I´ve saved some work not have to make new panels. It worked on this one but I´m sure it will not on another:)

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks again for sharing this. The more I look at the photos the more little unmentioned things I see that you have done to get a better fit and turn out a better job that those of with less skill may want to borrow on our projects to help make them that much better.

Hnstray likes this.
  25. WildBill3

WildBill3

Wow great job,its looking fantastic!

26. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Impressive, well executed!

27. hasty

hasty

28. You nailed it. These coupes look so good chopped and with all tgose curves looks crazy difficult. You make it look like a breeze.

29. Your´re very welcome. Glad if I can bee to some help.

Thanks a lot folks.

Played with the rear corner for the quarter windows today.Copied the radius from the upper front corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]