Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Chevy 3100 Barnfind Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown

So I just pulled this 48 Chevy 3100 Barn find out of Longtime storage. Like 20 years plus. Hauled it home on Friday. No smell at all in the gas tank so I put 5 gal. of gas in it, Put a new battery in it, drained and put new oil in it, turned it over a few times, poured a little gas down the carb, turned the key on and it started right up. The truck runs Great!!!!! My problem is when I hook up the battery the amp gauge goes crazy and one tail light flickers on and off. I did replace all fuses. Doesn't make any difference if the key is on or off. Its like its wired hot. This is an untouched original truck and all the wiring looks to be original and in good shape. Some one added turn signals years ago and that wiring was a mess so I took all of that off today. Any ideas what's going on??????

Attached Files:

Fern 54 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 6inarow

6inarow

6 volt right?

Tomincanada likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

4. If you have the amp meter going nuts when the tailight comes on, you have a short in that circuit. First remove the bulb and try again, (could be a bad bulb holder), then after that trace the wiring back from the tailight assembly.
    Could be that the lighting circuit is not switched by the ignition switch, that's why it dosen't matter where the key is.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Just buy a new harness Instead of messing with the old wires. If you want to keep it 6 volt, then you will a kit for 6 volts because it requires "fatter" wires. Do it once, do it right.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Cowtown

Cowtown

Yes, Still 6 volt

7. Cowtown

Cowtown

And light switch is off

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If the light switch is shorting it could carry power even if off....

9. Positive ground? start by removing fuses one at a time. do not replace until you have finished.
    The fuse you remove and the light stops flickering is the problem circuit. Don't forget the fuse for the light switch. Is it the running light or the brake flickering.

10. should be negative ground ,...