Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 Cad Coupe Flattie

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 54caddycoupe, Jun 12, 2020.

1. 54caddycoupe

54caddycoupe

I am eliminating the stock fuel / vacuum pump on the 346 Flattie but want to run the stock Carter carb. What PSI range should I be shopping for in the Electric fuel pump. The car is currently a 6 Volt system. I have seen some 6V pumps on the summit site but I am not sure what PSI to shop for.

2. 54caddycoupe

54caddycoupe

I found in the service manual that the fuel pump is designed to deliver 3.5 to 5 psi .. I will hopefully find a 6 volt pump with that fit the need. I will look for a complete kit with the filter,wiring and relay kit if available . I want to do this right and safe. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks , bill

3. CadMad

CadMad

There should be 6 volt pumps available. I just run the mechanical pump on my 39 346. Never missed a beat. There’s rebuild kits available.Replace the lines if you are doing either.

4. 54caddycoupe

54caddycoupe

Thanks, yeah This is a first for me since I have always ran the mechanical pumps on all my caddies with no problems,, however after rebuilding the fuel/vacuum pump and running all new fuel lines the eccentric cam or something broke and quit turning the pump. So I decided for now I will just run an electric pump.

5. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Put a separate fuel pressure regulator in line. I did this on our MGB with electric fuel pump. It solved weird carburetor problems. Also put a rollover relay in the electric circuit for the fuel pump. It shuts off the power to the fuel pump during a crash.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. 54caddycoupe

54caddycoupe

Thanks for the tip. I was able to find a 6V pump which I installed and wired through the oil pressure switch to shut off the pump when the engine is not running. I will finish up the wiring and test it tomorrow.