Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 and 49 Plymouth front fender

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FNG, Nov 26, 2017.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Would anyone be able to tell me if the lower sections are the same? Have a chance to get an nos 49 fender cheap
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. ...some 49 Plymouths look just like the 46-8 Plymouths, they were titled as the year they were sold,...the later 49's were slab-sided cars so fenders no where near the same,...do you have any pics?

3. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

s-l1600 (21).jpg 1002rc_15_o+the_nsra_street_rod_nationals+1946_plymouth.jpg
    Gold one is a 48 and the Green one is a 49 I know the fender itself is different but its the front curved section that I'm after. I can make a repair piece but for $50 if it fits I'll just bolt on a new part. Its being built as a custom so the holes and body line don't mean anything to me

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That NOS fender you have posted is for a ‘49/‘50 Dodge, not a Plymouth, judging by the parking light hole, though it really doesn’t matter for your purposes. The Dodge and Plymouth fenders are very similar, though may not be dimensionally the same.

By the way on the subject of ‘48 / ‘49 Plymouths, the P-15 (‘46/48) was produced into early calendar year 1949, and sold as a ‘49 model, because the new design ‘49 model production was delayed until March or April. Very similar situation that GM had with the ‘54/‘55 Truck model changeover, lead to “1st design/2nd design” 1955 Chevrolet & GMC truck’s.

Ray

5. Short answer....no. They are not the same.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

The seller has it listed as a 49 Plymouth and it was written on the inside of the fender, according to pictures I looked at, it appears to be a late 49 (slab side) according to the P15 site the curved or lower section (it's a two piece fender) the curves are the same ,but I just made a test panel and I'm going to make a pair

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is '49 but I can assure you it is a Dodge fender, not a Plymouth. I have a '49 Plymouth Club Coupe I have owned since 1995 and have had others as well. I also have a few NOS Plymouth fenders....and I owned a '49 Dodge in my youth

But, no matter.....as 31 Dodger said, it isn't the same as the P15 '46/'48 contours.

Ray