Register now to get rid of these ads!

48-52 ford differential ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgaro, Nov 13, 2012.

1. bgaro

bgaro

wanting to change the pinion seal and diff. gasket in a shoebox ford rear end. i pulled the nut and yoke then removed the nuts to the diff housing. whats hanging up. the housing isnt jumping off of there, do i need to pull axles too? i don't want to break anything.

2. R Pope

R Pope

Yep, pull the axles.

3. bgaro

bgaro

ahhh,the 'ol can of worms. what should i be replacing while i have it all apart. any suggestions?

4. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Check your axle bearings and replace if necessary, replace axle seals.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

'48-'52? '48 was the last of the torque tube/banjo style. The "new" design in '49 lasted thru '56. What ARE you working on?

6. bgaro

bgaro

new style, its in my model A as part of the original 60's build. more used to the a chevrolet set up, but after tearing in i really like it. the bearings all look good, so i'm just gonna do all the seals and the paper gaskets at the backing plate. if i believe the little tag its 3.90 gears. i also have a leak one the tube part of the axle housing itself, its at an old weld. also i gotta find a locking nut for the flange.