Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel torres, Mar 27, 2009.

1. joel torres

joel torres

i lowered the bracket for max clearance and plumb some temp lines to see how it moves
    i have to make lower plates and when im happy il weld them permanently
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 48dreams

48dreams
    from Queens

Whats up Joel great forum, great work keep up the hard work You never stop even back in the days in the streets of Brooklyn you were doing your thing. keep it going my brother, any help just call.

3. joel torres

joel torres

ok the update for today i got allot done
    i purchased two tubes 1-1/2" x 3" x 3'
    i made the chassis level, clamped the beam in place, drilled holes for bolts (so when i remove and reinstall for final fit it will sit in the same place )
    marked where the contact areas are for welding, grinded all contact area and rebolt tube and weld the crap out of it in that order :D
    are you ready for more pics?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. joel torres

joel torres

5. joel torres

joel torres

6. joel torres

joel torres

thanks for the help jesse and ray
    ok i welded the first seam them folded the metal over and welded the last seam
    i think its stronger then the factory chassis in this area i will use high grade bolts for the holes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. joel torres

joel torres

ok i feel the chassis is done i will start to degrease and paint and install front airbags. i removed old inner fender wells and radiator support as i should be using the old stuff for this. i also have to clean up the engine and throw some new gaskets on the block. did you know i will have a/c,cruise control & power steering
    here what it looks to start with the next pics it should all be done so it will be a while
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. joel torres

joel torres

welded the air bag brackets in permanent they work great and do not rub anywhere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 48dreams

48dreams
    from Queens

Are you going to add a shockto it,I feel you should put some shocks to get a better ride ,im doing it on mine (food for though):rolleyes:

10. joel torres

joel torres

yeah i will put shocks i have to relocate them a bit
    i need a new front bag as one of mine has a leak
    anyone have an extra bag
    Firestone 255c Air Bag 2500lb Single 3/8" Port
    [​IMG]

11. joel torres

joel torres

ok yesterday i removed the nose of the car in one section so after i place the body on the new chassis (before bolting in place ) i can place the nose for reference here its is wrapped around a tree as a joke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. joel torres

joel torres

13. joel torres

joel torres

14. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

MAN, you are an inspiration! outside even!

15. lonebker

lonebker

yeah brother, you got heart. like how you got things going and how its gonna look, im doing a 52 plymouth. not sure what way im going to go yet, frame swap or do brakes in front and rear axle swap in rear. right now, im going to not notch my rear frame. im sitting 5 inches off ground from bumper bottom to floor, but i got old huge tires on it so, im working on that. great inspriration. keep up the great work and pics.

metalplate matt

16. joel torres

joel torres

thanks guys i wanted to let you know positive comments do help its nice to see thanks again
    lonebker i was going to do a four link in the rear but i didn't like the disk brake kit for my car it different parts from cars to make my kit and fatman front cost more then my donor car plus its a four door so no loss in value here

17. joel torres

joel torres

ok cleaned the underside i did not undercoat yet still have welding to do
    i placed the body on the chassis and everything went perfect as planed except for the supports i welded in the a-pillar i forgot about chassis clearance :eek: so thats going to get redone i also will have to gut the whole trunk sheet metal as it was worst then i thought after cleaning the underside the orig undercoat was holding it together but the rockers i welded in held the car perfect i could open the doors while it was in the air no problem i have to find so projects on here where the fabricator welded all new floors to get some ideas on how im going to hit the trunk area
    are you ready for more pics i have been at it since 8 a.m. :confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. joel torres

joel torres

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is what i have to fix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    inside lines up nice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. joel torres

joel torres

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

You should be an inspiration to all the whiners who say they cant do anything with thier cars cause thier shop isnt big enough etc, keep at it you will be driving before you know it!!

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

Joel, you have done great! In the time you have taken to get this far, I haven't done a darn thing. I'd say something like I can't wait to see this done, but you are kicking butt already, especially in those conditions! Hats off, thumbs up, atta boy, righteous dude and three cheers!

22. joel torres

joel torres

lol thanks man
    my plan now is to modify the 2x2 steel i welded in the wrong spot so the front fire wall sits lower so i can put body mounts then i have to figure what type of body mounts im going to use/make starting from front and working my way to the back
    the entire trunk floor is garbage so i will redo it once she is bolts straight to the frame
    so its going to be awhile so until next time

23. rodknocker

rodknocker

Joel you're a madman, its amazing how you do all of that work in the elements, its looking good.

24. joel torres

joel torres

i have a minor problem with the floor supports i replaced with square tube cause they raise the body of the frame an extra inch so i either make up the difference or remove them and redo it so the body sits lower im not in a rush as this is very important step right now like i said before im not a professional and its only me working on it if i had more people i would have more ideas on hand so i am looking at all my options and will use the best
    ok so i have the body centered front to back
    spare fender for mock up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mock up of front body mounts i kinda wish they where lower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. joel torres

joel torres

i was thinking of cutting out the floor supports from the old floor and extending the ones on the car and eliminate the square tubes but i wont get that much differance in hieght unless i body drop it which i don't want to do i hate when the floor are uneven so im leaving it at the height she's at and will start to fab bdy mounts tomorrow i need a break
    and yes there is a whole complete car and a half of another in my shed of parts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. 48dreams

48dreams
    from Queens

Why dont you notch that section and cut the tube smaller to lay lower, if not try to find a smaller body mount.

27. 6berry

6berry

this is turning out nice and it started worse than mine. how did you do all the bends on that rocker? both mine are rusted out but i wasnt sure how the do the tight three bends in the middle.

28. joel torres

joel torres

ray take a trip out to my house and show me what your talking about, are you going to jaydens birthday party im 2 min from marvs house or call my house

thats just a sample i had made up i will take better pics for you its not hard
    the rocker will be two parts three if you want to make it really strong
    an outer skin , center structure, back side

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  29. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

you have impressed me!!!!! no garage, leaves, covering the parts and the tools, you must have very understanding neighbors. and on top of it all your going to have a great car. ..........Well dont stop now !!!!!!!!! get done so I can stop reading about yours and go work on mine

30. For what it's worth between the stock car guys and rust in general those Monte Carlos have apparently become damned hard to find - enough that we sold one with weak rear frame rails to a guy who spent another $1000 or so to have it shipped from New York to Louisiana. There might be some resale value in your leftovers.

Which, the rear frames in these rot so much I'd be hesitant to use one under another car.