Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel torres, Mar 27, 2009.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

At the rate your going, you probably already have this done, but I don't think you will need to brace the car to make the cuts your planning on the floor. When you put it back in, make sure you have some clearance between the floor and the frame if your mounting the body on rubber, otherwise the squeeks could drive you nuts. Its not fun driving a car where metal rubs on metal anytime the road is not smooth. Been there, done that, got the shirt.

Looks like your going to be cruising in no time. Gene

2. Holy rusty rockers batman!
    Your a brave man tackling that job. Be a sweet ride when it's done.

3. joel torres

joel torres

i didn't do everything but your half correct lol
    first id like to say thanks for the replys so far
    ok i cut the rear hump of and cut the sides and bent them up its ruff looking right now
    i will bend the side up and smooth the edge of the hump clamp them together and where they meet i will slice them i figure where i slice it will leave both edges at a perfect meeting point for me to weld does that sound like what the fabricators do if it made sense to ya
    ready for some pics [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. My god! That's got to be the biggest dash I've ever seen in my life!! The people standing on it look tiny! The steering wheel must be 40 feet across!

5. You are doing great Joel, I have been following your progress on P15-D24. I am sure your helper appreciates you letting him play with Dad, you will give him some great memories, that's what it's all about. Brendan.

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  7. joel torres

joel torres

thats a nice chop i wouldn't mind my second plymouth going under the knife il send you the body :) mail it back when your done

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Do you have any more pics of how you handled the back window slope,it looks real nice!

9. joel torres

joel torres

its raining and cold so i only did one task today
    oh pics are going to be hard since my son cracked the screen on the camera and i dont have money for a new one i think it can still take photos but i cant see what they are till i plug it in i will post some up

ok i welded the hump back in and it is perfect i smooth the edges flat and clamped it tight marked the metal that's bent up and cut on that line the metal met together like it was meant to be there my welding improves everytime i play with it i am having so much fun

10. joel torres

joel torres

ok did what i said before it's coming along have to take a break for a couple hour and wil be back at it tonight
    how do you like so far?
    ready for more pics:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Looks good. If you tell someone that this frame swap is a good or bad idea after all is done, the opinion will actually mean something. Glad to see you're saving that old body and making good use of some othe junkable car.

12. joel torres

joel torres

after im done with this one i am going to weld back what i can on the black spare 47 and do the same to her i dont mind having two i did measure my friends srt8 dodge magnum i know i could make it work but can't get one :(

13. joel torres

joel torres

here's another pic for radiator clearance issues i have more pics at my photobucket page

now considering when i place the green body on the new chassis i will have an inch to play with how far forward or back i want to play with i will not have the fan or the extra part to mount the fan on the front pulley oh by the way its a v6 not a v8 so i don't need allot of cooling
    this pic is not lined up i had one oerfect but lost it some how
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. joel torres

joel torres

i have a word of advice for anyone doing something like this

CUT ALL THE EXTRA METAL YOU CAN REUSE OFF THE DONOR CAR

damit i should have sliced that nice flat roof and flat section of floor damit damit
    i did cut out the trans tunnel as i didn't know if i would have to bump it up to clear the new trans and it would be so easy to graft it in so i was thinking with some of my brain

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

oel, I'm sure you have already seem the bottom of the radiator mount. Two big studs point down (at least on my 40). Grab some of that tubing you used on the rockers and weld a bracket with 2 slots on the edge.
    hang the front sheetmetal with your hoist at the radiator mount, and bolt up the tubing and bracket. You should be able to figure out how to mount the new tubing so it all mounts properly. I'd put the studs in the middle of the slots (front to rear) and mount the tubing a bit low, since you can shim up if needed.

Looks like you might not have room for a fan. Watch out for firewall interference and make sure the steering works before finalizing the body mounts.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Hats off to you for saving that Plymouth . I have a 37 Ply P/U and it's in worst shape than yours . But I will save mine too .
    As for the comments from the one about welding , that's why you have a grinder and as for the centering of the wheels , well I like it ! It's your car so make it how you want it as long as it's safe !
    I really like your helpers ! Wish I had some . Keep up the great posts . As for the trans tunnel just add some metal on the bottom to bring it up higher . The stock radiator will be fine but the Mustang Radiator will give you more room . If not do you have room on the front side of the radiator for an electric fan ? That would give you more room for the radiator .
    Keep up the good job and you will have a great family cruiser in no time ! It's nice to see you are doing a car that the whole family can enjoy !
    Keep the posts coming !

17. MercManMario

MercManMario

Nice job Joel! That is more metalwork that i ever want to do. I was complaining about my chop and a couple rocker replacements......after seeing your's, i think i'll shut up now!

18. joel torres

joel torres

so far i welded some more metal back together and the rear seat fits perfect and im waiting for money to come in so i can buy some 18 gauge sheet metal to finish to floor
    [​IMG]

19. looking good bro..nice to see that im not the only one who is not scared of rust.

20. joel torres

joel torres

ok today i tackled my first toe board it was alot of fun i wish i made it out of one piece but it was easier doing it in sections i impressed myself when i was done :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. joel torres

joel torres

well i started the dirty deed :( but i got lots of parts :)
    i wonder should i cut the quarter clips

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. joel torres

joel torres

i gave my donor car a hair cut and im going to keep the rear quarter clips and front in case i ever get hit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Holy shit. Your putting that back together? Damn it man. You've got vision!

24. outstanding post Family and mopar just hand and hand

25. joel torres

joel torres

getting some of the chassis painted and prepped for surgery
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. joel torres

joel torres

did the other toe board and used the time to practice making a fitted part
    i am using scrap metal shelves to make the parts instead of buying new sheets as i don't have the proper tools yet to bend and stuff so this is more for learning the basic ideas plus its going under a carpet after i seam seal it
    i plan to put the body on a rotisserie to attack the floor from the bottom also

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Joel, you are doing really nice work. That floorboard looks mint. What welder/rod are ou using, and at what setting?

28. rodknocker

rodknocker

Joel if its not too late cut out the rear "C" shape in those rear windows of your donor car,its alway nice to have an extra set.Its looking good so far.Although that one pic of you shows you need some sleep brother:)

29. joel torres

joel torres

i actually saved the whole car its parked inside my shed :eek: no seriously i have the whole car in the shed even the roof :cool: i sliced it like a freaking surgeon

i NEED u channel to wrap my chassis :( i will hunt some tomorrow but im really low on funds
    i temporary installed the rear airbags to see how it will look mocked up will probably do the fronts tomorrow
    ready for more pics?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my friends chassis getting work done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. joel torres

joel torres

i am using the lincoln weldpack 100 mig welder its works great
    for the floors i have the heat set at { A} and the wire speed to {1 - 1 1/2} which is slow in speed and i have an auto dimming helmet which make work easy