Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Roy Kleiberg, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Roy Kleiberg

Roy Kleiberg

Hi. I am Roy and I am living in Norway.
    I am building a 47 Plymouth and I was hoping for some help from you guys.
    I would like to modernize the front suspension. I was hoping to build an all new front suspesion from a newer car (I dont want to do a frontclip).
    Have anyone done this?
    Thank you for any suggestion?
    Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

How modern are you trying to go? Why? What are your goals for the project?

How much do you know about designing ad building a front suspension? Even using new parts, there's quite a lot of engineering involved there. By starting with a front clip from something, you bypass most of the engineering design work, leveraging millions of dollars of R&D the original manufacturer did.

Could you accomplish your goals by modifying what you have? A dropped straight axle, some new parts, and rebuilding anything worn or damaged may be sufficient.

Do you need something else? If you're building a drag racer, or something to compete on tracks, then your needs are different from a Saturday afternoon cruiser.

3. Roy Kleiberg, Chris Lie and 73RR like this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

Unlike brands x and y the 47 Mopar has a decent IFS from the factory. Actually, the design is years ahead of the other guys....

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Ah, didn't know that, thanks.

So if it's already an IFS, I don't see the point of trying to home engineer a replacement. Rebuild and modify as needed to achieve your goals for the car.

6. Roy Kleiberg

Roy Kleiberg

Thank guys. The car will not be a race car. The car will be used as a driver to carmeetings on Norwegians rods With a trailer/ camper. I am a litle conserned if the original suspensjon is heavy duty enough?

7. 'Mo

'Mo

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The original suspension is plenty strong for all normal use. If you want to tow a normal caravan you will have no problems. Go take a careful look at the way the suspension is built. Compare it to the latest BMW, Volvo, Mercedes or other large car. The new car will look light and flimsy by comparison.

Plymouths, and Chrysler products in general, were known for their superior engineering and build quality. The suspension, brakes, engine, and drive train were state of the art for the times. They were one of the first to use telescopic shock absorbers same as used on all modern cars, and their self adjusting Oriflow shocks were the best on the market.

The above suggestions from David and 73RR are sound. Inspect the front suspension and rebuild as necessary to stock specifications. Replace the shock absorbers with good quality modern shocks of your favorite brand, and relocate the upper mount to the chassis frame. Front brakes can be replaced with disc brakes. Tires should be narrow radial type, as close to stock size as you can get. Do not go too wide on the tires. Get the front end aligned and try it out. You may be pleased and surprised how well the car rides, and how nice and easy it is to drive.

If you are not satisfied and want more sports car high speed cornering power it is possible to adapt rack and pinion steering and a stiffer anti roll bar but this is not necessary for normal driving.

Roy Kleiberg likes this.
  9. Roy Kleiberg

Roy Kleiberg

Thank you for advice and help, have to look for conversion to disc bremser

10. Try AAJ Brakes for the disc conversion I put on of there kits on my 56 dodge pick up ten years ago with no problems Hobo Jim

Roy Kleiberg likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You do not have to install disc brakes. The stock drum brakes work well if they are in good shape and adjusted correctly. But of course, are not as powerful as the newest disc brakes. You will have to use your own judgement, based on how much you use the car, how fast you drive, do you drive in traffic, etc. But, if you install a more powerful engine and plan to tow a trailer disc brakes are a good idea.

The disc brake kits available use American made parts. In your case, it may make more sense to use European parts, for example Volvo, Mercedes or BMW. You would need to find a brake disc that can be adapted to your hub and you will need to make a bracket to mount the caliper. And, figure a way to install a new master cylinder.

The stock master cylinder is also the mount for the brake pedal. Some hot rodders have left the stock master cylinder and brake pedal in place, mounted a new master cylinder behind the old one, and actuated it with a long rod that passes through the old master cylinder.

Roy Kleiberg likes this.
  12. my fault I didn't see the fact he lives in Norway good advice Rusty O'Toole

Roy Kleiberg likes this.
  13. Roy Kleiberg

Roy Kleiberg

The e true but I want to have disc brakes

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

15. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

The conversion kit from Scarebird is good, you don't have to machine the spindles, all parts are available at regular parts stores.

Roy Kleiberg likes this.
  16. RAR1947

RAR1947
    from Minnesota

I had a 47 for over 15 years. Had rebuilt stock front end, dropped spindles from fatman, relocated shocks, and disc brakes from ECI. It had a straight six with split manifold and dual carbs in front of a '53 three speed overdrive. A stock front end in good condition will do just fine. I cruised at freeway speeds no problem. Not sure if it was mentioned but the guys over at p15-d24.com are a wealth of knowledge for this year mopar. Check them out.

Roy Kleiberg likes this.
  17. Roy Kleiberg

Roy Kleiberg

Hi Thanks once again for all the tips, it was new for me fatman had parts for 47 a must probably look a little on the p15- d24.com