Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 Plymouth Special DeLuxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead fred, Jun 9, 2013.

1. flathead fred

flathead fred

So I about to pick up a 47 Plymouth Special Deluxe from a friend. Planning on a pretty straight ahead classic bomb low-rider build. Looks lime parts are semi available. Anything unusual to tell about these cars. Still up in the air on motor and tranny combo. A bumb knee has me thinking automatic. No chevy small blocks thank you. What mopar fits in that skinny engine bay without a hell of a lot of effort??

2. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

had a 47 for awhile, used a sbc and turbo 350. the engine bay isn't that skinny, you should be able to put whatever you want in it, might have to rework inner fenders a bit as I did when I put a MII in mine.

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I put a SBC in mine, but have read about others, and seen a few with hemi's in them, so there's room for most anything you choose. And parts aren't that difficult to find. Skip over to the P15-D24 forum, and check that out. A lot of good info there, and forum members who are willing to help you out.

4. Plymouth 318.
    A good engine and not tooo bad a fit.
    Saw a fellow from Illinois with a 318 in his coupe, and he was happy.

If retaining the original steering system, the engine may need to locate
    about a couple inches to Right of center to clear. (I'm no expert....just
    passing on what I've heard.)

There is also the P15-D24 Forum for 40s and 50s MoPars.....there are
    both stock and modified cars found there. Here's a link.............
    http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph_forum/index.php?/index/

Just sign up and join in the fun.......lot of knowledge there as well as
    here.

5. George

George

There's a bunch of Threads on putting a 318 into the 46-8s. As was said a slight move to the pass. side. You need the rear sump version from a Van or pick up, or the pan, oil pump pick up & dipstick from one. Fits in with only slight trimming of the inner fenders. drivers side ex man from the boxy Dart wraps around the steering column like it was made for it. Front shock relocation & disc kits. Be carefull about lowering the rear, can be a pian to get the wheel out between the drum & fender if you don't pay attention to room.

6. daliant

daliant

I've got a 318 in my 46, you'll have to move some stuff around but it will fit.
    100_1314.jpg
    There's more pics on my build thread ▼▼▼

7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Exhaust clearance by steering box is the main issue. Rack/pinion conversion or up-and-over manifold are options.

8. flathead fred

flathead fred

Thanks for the info. I will check out the forum.

9. 73RR

73RR