Register now to get rid of these ads!

47 Plymouth Special Deluxe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64grand, Jun 15, 2014.

1. 64grand

64grand

The problem I found with my Buick engine is it's an odd fire and I couldn't find any aftermarket parts. The even fire has some aftermarket options. Maybe you lucked out and have the grand national engine!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 64grand

64grand

Ok good news and bad news as always lol
    I picked up the 350 from the 71 chevelle. It will be in next week fingers crossed.
    The shop I used found the source of the paint bubbling. The solvent that they were using with the primer had a massive recall about a year ago and some how the paint supply shop was still selling it. So a bunch of phone calls to the manufacturer and a couple headaches later I am potentially getting the car completely stripped, reworked and painted. At the expense of the solvent manufacturer. Bad news it's going to be a month :/

3. 64grand

64grand

I did some research and it looks like a early plymouth rear end. The same as my 64 Grand Prix. It's a very good rear end! The only problem is posy is soooo expensive because there is only one shop that makes an after market set up. So I'm going to keep it how it is and it will work very well with the sbc 350.

4. James Curl

James Curl

Dodge Dakota rears with the five bolt pattern work just fine after you remove the old spring perches and add new ones. I have a 90 Dakota 3.55:1 rearend in my 48 Plymouth. A lot of people use Ford Explorer rearends in their P-15s which also have the same 5 bolt pattern that MoPar wheels have. With the Explorer rears you also get disc brakes. I am not sure about Durango rear ends but should work same as Dakota rears and have disc brakes.

5. tenfive0

tenfive0

Unless you drive like my mother.

My mom taught Shirley Muldowney and Big Daddy how to drive.

6. 64grand

64grand

Thanks James the cherokee rear end also works I believe it's a dana 30 or 35?

7. George

George

If the front isn't wrecked it would be a good front clip on the '47

8. George

George

The 65-7 C body bolts right in. With a perch relocation E Body, Duster, 71-3 Mustang/Cougar, 70s Ranchero & a number of GM axles fit

9. 64grand

64grand

The guy was putting a 454 in it so I bought the engine and trans. Good info on the match ups thanks!

10. George

George

Nothing wrong with updating the OEM front end with a disc brake conversion & a shock relocation, but..early 70s Cutlass/Chevelle works as does early Camaro . I believe my '48 has a '73 Cutlass, but it isn't confirmed.

11. 64grand

64grand

Thanks to the photoshop to end al photo shop thread.
    Before ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404496341.401181.jpg
    And after ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404496358.184397.jpg
    I wanted to see what the chrome would look like in gloss black. I really like this look but I have a lot of money I to chrome and polishing so I'm probably going to keep it shiny.

12. they are dana 35's and have pinion bearing issues along with rotors that warp! i'm replacing one now in my 98 grand cherokee i purchased new. STEER CLEAR, JUNK! check offroad forums! i'm old mopar dude and i would spend money on currie 9"! they are spendy but only once!

13. 64grand

64grand

Thanks for the tip!

14. tenfive0

tenfive0

Buick G-Body Grand National 8-1/2 inch 10 bolt in my 41 Plymouth "Iraqibu" Coupe.

15. 64grand

64grand

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406009163.565693.jpg
    Sanded down to take care of the bad batch of reducer used when first primered.....started to bubble again after new coat of primer. Sanded down again and going for another try. Hopefully it doesn't have to do with the lacquer paint that was found amongst the 15 coats of paint this thing has had in it life. Learning to be patient!!

16. 64grand

64grand

Good news the paint is sticking!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406152821.096380.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406152834.345813.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406152843.245016.jpg

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

<---having new paint envy.

18. 64grand

64grand

Very rough!!! Lol

19. 64grand

64grand

Not worth the headache :) not yet anyway. The V8 might help though!

20. 64grand

64grand

The Buick v6 is out and for sale if anyone is interested with a th350. All ready to drop the sbc 350 in annnnnnddddd I ordered the wrong kit from Butchs lol! I can only laugh at this point. I call Butchs they send me a new one got here Friday so I'm hoping to have an engine in by next Friday. Glass guy is coming this week and the. It will be off to interior finally. I feel bad I hired the interior guy 3 months ago and he has had everything done for 2 and a half months. Anyway still chipping away.

21. That thing is coming out sweet man! Glad the paint stuck for you, can't wait to see the next set of pics.

22. George

George

Shaving the back end tends to give them an Elephant butt look....

23. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

That looks sick!!!

24. 64grand

64grand

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408686980.976314.jpg
    Sbc 350 fits in there with ram horns.
    Had to modify th errands tunnel a bit bot got it in there!
    I ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408687040.675239.jpg also put the puzzle back together that is the front grill. I broke off a lot of studs when I took it off so I jb welded some some bold sober the ground down studs and it seems to hold up well.

25. Looking good just don't open the hood now that you got that belly button in there!:p

64grand likes this.
  26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I was amazed that mine came apart without trouble. I didn't break or strip anything on the grille.
    Not so on the side trims. I used a big nipper to snip off a few rusted studs from the backside. Lots of messed up clips, missing clips, nuts rusted solid, and the rocker trims were just barely hanging on by a clip, a screw and a prayer.

64grand likes this.
  27. 64grand

64grand

Little update from the shop I'm using today. The phone call went like this. Shop owner- hey how you doing did you surf today?
    Me- I sure did it was really big!
    Shop owner- well we are getting this thing all buttoned up but we had a little problem.
    Me- ok what's that?
    Shop owner- well we went to fire it up and it wasn't in park and it crashed into the bench.
    Me-well at least it moves. How bad is it.
    Shop owner -it definetly needs some body work and needs to be tea prayed in the back. Are you going to pin stripe it?
    Me-ya why?
    Because we can make the paint seem end on the pinstripes so you won't be able to see it.
    Me-ummmmm ok
    Shop owner- lets get your pin striper over here and see what he thinks.
    Me- don't wait in that fix it.
    Shop owner oh we will start fixing it today.
    Any suggestions on dealing with this situation would be helpful.

28. coffman

coffman

That's tuff. Time to make your presence in the shop. I wound up keeping' all my shiny and am pleased. Went to a '56 rear 3:54 with the bigger brks. 264 long blk w/ t5. Bang it around a bit with no problem. IMG_2975.JPG

64grand likes this.
  29. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That's a nice looking sedan. I drove one similar some 25 years back but didn't buy it. I should have bought it just for parts, but not enough foresight on my part.

64grand likes this.