Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. Sorry, changed my avatar! Voted for you for "tech week" - good luck!

Decided to stick with the original avatar......

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. n847

n847

Plumbid...I would too if mine looked that bad ass! Thanks for the vote...my tech wasn't squat compared to the guru's on here but its simple stuff that gets over looked!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. n847

n847

So I've started thinking about my grill opening (or lack their of) lately. I posted in the photoshop thread to end all. Post no. 11831. I've been thinking of a version first of a "gasser" style insert with large 2-3" holes drilled and possibly dimple die'd symmetricaly with a small trim ring made of half round stock around the edge, and or mounting the insert from the inside with exposed rivets. My second thought was the style commonly used on gassers from 58 Fords (I think). I was even thinking of leaving the peak in the center of the front end, and making 2 seperate grill openings on eather side as shown on the attached black and white picture. I hope this is enough to work from. Eventually I'll be doing something with the head lights as well but I'll have to see how it looks with the insert first. So I may try to mock something up in the next few weeks!

4. n847

n847

here's the inspiration...

Attached Files:

5. daliant

daliant

Here's some more inspiration for ya
    41 ply.jpg

6. n847

n847

Holy Crap...where did you find that thing at? I've never seen that one! By the way your sheet metal work on your build is looking great. I really like what you did with the rockers! Watch out that idea could be stolen some day...When I learn to weld!

7. daliant

daliant

I think I found that pic somewhere on the HAMB, I don't remember where though. My rockers were looking a little flat so I split a piece of 1 1/4" conduit down the middle and welded the pieces in to give the bottom of the car some detail. Knowing how to weld will open up a whole lot of possibilities when it comes to building cars and you don't need a high dollar machine to start out with.

I think a little chrome (or stainless) on the front of your car will make world of difference, if you can get a hold of the 3 smaller stainless grille bars from a stock 46-48 p15 grille and put them on you car it would look just right.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

9. n847

n847

So the dash is nearly wrapped up, I've got to wet sand and polish the spots where I put the tape around the openings before the clear was cured then do the final mount on the gauge panel. I picked up a high torque mini starter at the swap meet for 60 bux new in the box, and I picked up a used but like new set of 5 point harnesses. I've got them sitting in there right now to decide if I like em. I'm open to opinions. Right now I dont have any belts for the front and I do realize its a little excessive and pre-mature to use 5points but its the route I'm heading! Opinions yea or nea?

Attached Files:

10. n847

n847

Got the gauges hard mounted last night I'm gonna pick up oil and anti-freeze this week and replace the bad freeze plug & put in that new starter. Then figure out what the hell to do with that passenger side wheel seal! I'm ready to hook the battery back up and make sure the wiring is all run correctly!

11. n847

n847

So I finally got a wheel seal thats gonna fit the passenger side! I pulled the starter to take a look at the leaky freeze plug and hand my new mini high torque starter. With any luck I'll be bleeding brakes by this weekend!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

12. n847

n847

Well that was a little more difficult than it needed to be but I really didn't want to drop the exhaust!
    Oh and I love the Pabst flag swapmeet score...had to share it!

Attached Files:

13. n847

n847

Got the freeze plug all cleaned and painted up, installed the new starter changed the oil and filled the anti freeze. Hooked up the battery checked everything for voltage and found I left the fuel pump kill switch unplugged so I hooked it back up and called the wife to the garage to watch from the door to make sure nothing caught fire or exploded under the hood while I was watching for that magic blue smoke from under the dash. I ran the fuel pump for about 5 seconds and pumped the throttle 2 times hit the ingnition and it fired right off all was good for about 10 seconds then I looked up and saw my wife furl her brow and tilt her head to the side with a confused look on her face at that same instant I heard a highpitched squeel like the sound of air squeeking out of a baloon followed by the sound of fluids pouring on my garage floor. My first thought was that damn freeze plug! However, once I killed the engine and got under the car I realized to my dissmay it was oil! WTF...I know the drain plug was tight, I know I tightened the oil filter, but the oil was all over the fly wheel. I instantly started jumping to the worst conclusions, rear main seal, oil pan seal, even that the stagered bolt hole I used to use on the old starter could have gone into the oil passages on the block. The I reached up to the oil filter and it was about a half a turn loose again WTF. I snugged it back down, then it dawned on me! I ran to the drain pan and pulled out the old oil filter...Bam no O ring! I've heard of this happening a million times before but never to me! Sure enough double O ring and 3-4 quarts of oil on my floor and everthing near my flywheel in about 4 seconds! Oh well $20 dollar lesson learned...better to find it in the garage after 10 seconds of run time than on the highway 3 weeks from now after 3 minutes of running with no oil. Got 5 more quarts of oil this morning and we'll give it another go this evening. The started seemed to work just fine, but its been my experience that I can't always tell if one needs shimmed till after several uses so my one positive start hasn't completely setteled that concern, but it sure did crank that engine over like a boss!

14. n847

n847

Pics or it didn't happen...man it was good to hear it run again even if only for a few seconds!

Attached Files:

15. silverdome

silverdome

I actually had that oil filter experience once on my daughters Explorer.

16. n847

n847

Today's start up went much smoother! No fluid loss the starter still sounded ok. I do have a couple nice exhaust leaks at the collectors. New donut gaskets are probably in order. Ill try to post a video when I figure it out(one thing I've still never done!).

Attached Files:

17. daliant

daliant

Close call, at least you didn't do any major damage. I'll bet you'll check to see if the old O ring is still on the old filter from now on, I did the same thing on a boat engine about 20 years ago and every time I do an oil change (especially on a Chevy) I think back to the time I had to clean 5 qts of oil out of the bilge of a guys boat that I did an oil change on.

18. n847

n847

Yep lesson learned!
    Well I figured out the whole youtube thing today so here's my first shot!

Heres the hidden radio in action!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Cool vids! We need more of them. Looking good!

20. awesome! i like the gauges. i never liked the stock rectangular ones on my dash. i might have to borrow your idea!

21. n847

n847

Thanks guys...Steve I dont really have much of a problem with the P-15 gauges and I love the dash in them, but this style suites my build and they came with the car! It was all pretty wacked behind the gauge panel so it took some work bur I think they came out ok. Down the road I'd like to engine turn that panel. Now I'm looking for a clock of some type to mount in the space beside the glovebox by the passenger door!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Looking good sounding good too i need to get back to work on my 47after i get done with my other stuff keep up the good work yeah yeah i know pic or it didnt happen boy i need that app where is it

23. n847

n847

Thanks Grinder..
    Well life (and other projects) do tend to get in the way of these hot rods from time to time! But, yes the App is priceless...litteraly its free!

24. n847

n847

Well got the bearings packed, seals installed, mounted the caliper brackets, and installed the brake hardware. I managed to bleed it out. I'm gonna go back through tomorrow and bleed it again then attempt to adjust the tie rods to something resembling driveable so I can take it around the block to test out the brakes. I also need to go back and replace the nuts on the drivers side caliper brackets with the lock nuts I got this morning. If all goes well I'll be scheduling an alignment this week! It was a good day in the garage and the little man spent most of it with me. He learned how to use a ratchet today so watch your nuts!

Attached Files:

25. n847

n847

Well got the bearings packed, seals installed, mounted the caliper brackets, and installed the brake hardware. I managed to bleed it out. I'm gonna go back through tomorrow and bleed it again then attempt to adjust the tie rods to something resembling driveable so I can take it around the block to test out the brakes. I also need to go back and replace the nuts on the drivers side caliper brackets with the lock nuts I got this morning. If all goes well I'll be scheduling an alignment this week! It was a good day in the garage and the little man spent most of it with me. He learned how to use a ratchet today so watch your nuts!

26. n847

n847

Got everything buttoned up this week took a drive around the block last night. The brakes are hanging up and grinding so Ill have to tear back into it tomorrow but it was nice to move it under its own power!

27. n847

n847

Got everything buttoned up this week took a drive around the block last night. The brakes are hanging up and grinding so Ill have to tear back into it tomorrow but it was nice to move it under its own power!

28. Dont you just hate when you bist you ass all day on something and think you got it whopped you have to tearback in to it

29. AJNapierski

AJNapierski
    from G.V. CA

I got a few parts off a 48 if you are interested.

30. AJNapierski

AJNapierski
    from G.V. CA

I have some parts off a 48 if you are interested