Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. n847

n847

Its a good thing I got to this when I did because the inner seal was shot on this side and I was about to loose the bearing! It was "blued" from heat all over the one side. Now I'm going to have to find the wheel seals and bearings!

2. 41 C28

41 C28

Looks like you're moving along on your Plymouth. Did you change the master cylinder? My finger has healed up pretty good and I'm ready to get back on my A.

3. n847

n847

I think I found part numbers for the bearings and seals and they aren't priced too bad on rockauto.com but I'm gonna check the local NAPA so if I order the wrong bearing I can exchange it with out dealing with shipping stuff all over the country!

41 C28
    The car had a power master out of some type of 80's GM mounted on the firewall, so I'm going to continue to run that for now and down the road I'm going to fab or buy an under floor mount set up with a swing pedal.

Good to hear about the finger, it still hurts just thinking about it! I'm hoping to get in touch soon I'd really like to see that A!

4. Luke4554

Luke4554

[​IMG]

Only thing missin is a trunk full of moonshine... bitchin' :cool:

- Luke

5. n847

n847

Who said its missin? I told you I was in Georgia working for 3 weeks didn't I?

6. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Awesome build car's got a good look for sure. You sure have come a long ways in a short time. Keep it up!

7. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

looking good is a plymouth

8. n847

n847

Thanks alot...progress has slowed to a stop again cause I've been out of town more than I've been home since the middle January but I'm itchin to get back at it. Ive got all new bearings and seals now all I'm gonna need to finish the conversion is a couple bolts and the brake hoses. I wanted to get the dash resto/rewire done before driving season so I gotta get my ass in gear!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Dang man! I haven't check back in a while... looking great!

10. n847

n847

This picture has been on my PC desktop for weeks now...I'm feeling it!
    [​IMG]

11. n847

n847

12. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Oh yeah; never thought about one of these as a gasser but that would really look cool. Pull the trigger!

13. daliant

daliant

Here's another one for ya
    46 gass.jpg

14. n847

n847

Thanks man...never saw that one before! I think this car is over seas now. My plan is to continue as I have been getting the car more reliable, then when I stumble on a set of wheels & tires I can afford I'll radius the wheel wells and raise the rear back up. I've got new Aerostar springs I'm about to put on so I'm thinking the front end will come up some! I put in a few minutes on the brakes today after a few hours of cleaning up the garage so I'll be back full swing hopefully for a few weeks until I have to hit the road for work again! I'd like to be back on the road by May...

15. daliant

daliant

From what I've read guys use Aerostar springs to drop the front end down a few inches, your car already looks like it sits a little low in the front.

16. n847

n847

Yep its pretty far down right now, the coils were heated and clamped so I'm hoping it goes up a touch. To get it up like the car at the top Its going to need custom springs in the front. I believe there's a spring shop here in Dayton who will make them pretty reasonable. However, I also don't plan on going quite as high all the way around as the car above!

I'm also going to need to install a new rear leaf set up soon since my sotckers are warped. I talked to a dude about using Ford Ranger springs to do it, but I really don't have any experience with something like that so I've got some research to do. The engine thats in it isnt' that high hp, but I've got some plans for the future so i'd like to get the suspension prepared for what ever I can come up with!

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

What wheels and tires are you planning on using? Maybe I can come up with a Photoshop of your ideas, including the fenderwell radius.

18. n847

n847

Eli, I'm not sure what the wheels will be yet I'll probably be willing to settle on just about what ever I can afford. I dig Halibrands, Torque Thrust, and even Cragars. I'd be cool with steelies in the back but I'm not sure what I'd run in the front. I won't be using the fake spindle mounts, cause they just don't look right to me. I do want a 4" front wheel, and black wall pie crust out back. Probably 15" but I'm not sure how wide in the rear? Hope that leaves that as confused as I am!

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey that gives me something to work with. I'm gonna go back through your thread for a good pic to 'shop. Good thing you've posted many! lol

20. n847

n847

Well I managed to get back on the car last week. It was going pretty well, I got the drivers side all finished, cleaned, painted, clear coated, etc. except the brake hose. I'll order them from rockauto.com this week. I did say it "was" going pretty well right. So today I bolted everything up on the driver side and moved on to the pasenger side. One of the things I wanted to do while I had it apart was replace the wheel seals and bearings. I repacked and replaced the drivers side with no problem, so I moved right along on the passenger side by pulling the hub, the drums, and grinding the rivets off. So I packed up the bearings and dropped em in and thought it looked a little funny so I grabbed the old one and found the the ID of the hub on the passenger side is smaller than it was on the drivers side! I got the numbers of the bearings and found them on rockauto, but I can't find the wheel seal! I've been trying to interchange all the models from the bearing interchage and still can't find a seal with the proper OD! The drivers side hub ID is 2.73" according to the seal no. (national) 5836. When measured with my calipers the ID of the passenger side is 2.42". It looks like it will use bearing no's. 09067 and 15123, and they interchange to Desoto's from 49, 50, and 52-54. I guess I'll take the info I've got and head to NAPA tomorrow and see if I can find a seal that will fit. If anyone's got any idea what the hell this hub came off of I'd love to know! I guess I've got an extra set of bearings and seals for the drivers side now!

21. Oh my..... ImageUploadedByTJJ1365386635.009164.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. n847

n847

Oh man...Me Like!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Me too!

24. exterminator

exterminator

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Eric, here's an idea for your next project!:D

26. n847

n847

I'd like to see Eric build a gasser!

27. n847

n847

Well I got news last night that my uncle (same one who gave me the car) has offered me the wheels & tires off his 68 buick. Obviously the bolt pattern is wrong but moser drills 9" axles for $60 each and I think I know of a dude right here in Dayton who also does em. Of course I will still need to get the front hubs done then drill the new rotors and drums. I think I can get it all done under $300. The only way I can have the wheels is if I'm using them on the Plymouth. I guess I could try to trade them for a set with the Ford pattern but right now I'm leaning toward biting the bullet and making them work! Budget build remember.
    I'll attach a photo chop Eli did a while back along with a pic of my uncles beautiful 68.

This would coincide with radiusing the rear wheel wells too. Then the hunt would be on for a set of pie crust and front runners down the road!

Attached Files:

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

A lot of trouble, but they would look good...