Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. daliant

daliant

I would definitely go with the radiused wheel openings in the back, it doesn't look like you have a whole lot of clearance between the fender and tire at the moment.
    After you get a new end for that battery cable put some shrink tubing over it so moisture doesn't find its way in and cause corrosion.
    Happy motoring!

2. n847

n847

Yeah I've clearenced the wheel well lip twice already and I still have no space! Thanks for the shrink wrap tip...I meant to put it on there the first time and it slipped my mind, and again I go it crimped up today, I'm gonna have to see if I can get it over the terminal...DOOHHH!!!!

3. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Looking great man, that shifter looks good in there !!! Car looks MEAN.

4. n847

n847

Well Good News about a bone head move I made while putting the motor together!

So I'm doing my usual Sat eve activity after the kids go to bed, browse the HAMB for a lil while, and dick around on the Plymouth. I stumble on this thread where a guy is asking about the bolt holes in the side of the block on an SBC(link to the thread below)! I'm reading down the posts and I did know about those holes on the side of the block. Then I see the post from squirrel about an open hole on the front of the block near the fuel pump! I almost dropped my lap top jumping off the couch!
    You've gotta be F'n kidding me!
    I thought I had a leaking front main seal and was about to pull the balancer and replace the seal!
    Turns out I never plugged that hole, I don't remember taking a bolt out of that hole during tear down, and I can't believe I didn't F something up. I don't have a fuel pump on the block so maybe thats why I didn't get much oil spilled, or maybe there was junk built up in there that I painted over that kept it from leaking much. It was less than a 1/4 of a quart low,so I don't get it! Of course the whole bottom of my motor, and frame, and Lower rad hose is all oil covered now. So its back out for a wipe down!

What a dumb ass move!
    The link to the thread is below!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707725

5. n847

n847

6. n847

n847

Got a kick ass fathers day gift! Now out to drive the hot rod to a little cruise! Happy Fathers Day HAMBers!

7. n847

n847

I've been super busy lately with work, and when I have had free time, its been a hundred degrees out side! I took it out for the first time in a few weeks to a cruise in at Brookville Roadster. The car ran great, and I had a blast. Took the wife and my son out, and ran it around to see if it was gonna warm up in traffic. It did pretty good. I'm giving thought to adding a pusher fan for traffic when I get my fan shroud done. Last night I smoothed and shot the top half of my fire wall in semi gloss black. Still not perfect but pretty good for now!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. n847

n847

Been a long time since my last update....Because I haven't done shit but drive it around! It's been taking a beating on a regular basis and not complaining about it at all. Its got a few drips on the garage floor mainly still the transmission pan gasket, which will be getting replaced I'm also gonna look for a new pan. I think the pan I got from Speedway may be warped.

The good news is I've hit 5 or 6 car shows and cruise ins this summer and got my first award today. Of course it was top 3 unfinished but I was just glad the guy didn't flintch and put me in the unfinished class and not the rat rod class!

[​IMG]

My co-pilot was scoping out the competition for me!
    [​IMG]

So far its been a fun summer of trouble free driving..(knock on wood). One or two more outings and I'll be tearing back into it for the winter. So far goals are gonna be to finisht the re-wire, new floors and trans tunnel, raduis the rear wheel well openings, dash resto, and some interior work!

9. I've been wondering......congrats!

10. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

That's great to see you and your family have been enjoying the car. I love seeing the little ones getting involved too. As for me I finally drove the coupe home on Labor Day. We hoped we'd be done by late May early June !!! Good luck with your winter plans.

11. n847

n847

Yep even the wife is getting used to the noisy cabin, and the kids eat it up!

BAD PENNY the main reason for redoing the floors and trans tunnel is to make the gennie fit better. I love that shifter...Not a single complaint! Thanks again. The coupe looks great!

Oh and I need new springs, and shocks, and to do something with that awful front end, and...well we'll just have to see!

12. n847

n847

Well its about that time! I've got a pretty healthy list of stuff to accomplish this winter so I'm gonna be getting started in the next couple weeks. I've got to do a little fall cleaning in the garage and do a little more work in the yard before I can get back at it, but I'm formulating a plan, and a list.

I had the day off yesterday to take my wife to an outpatient surgery so I took it out one last time yesterday to vote. It was a brisk drive and the one thing I decided is that a carb rebuild will likely be added to the list this winter, it never was quite right.

Attached Files:

13. My wife's childhood school was demolished. Nothing stands in it's place today, which makes it more lame. We have a brick from her school, I hope you hopped the fence.

14. n847

n847

I've been taking photos as its been going down, and they aren't putting anything but an open field where it is now. As for a brick...the school is about 3-400 yards from my house and I saw a nice big gap in the fence so I'll be retrieving a couple bricks, and possibly a sign or letter off of the big sign. The High School across the street is going down soon too and it was built in the 40's or 50's so thats a real shame. I have pictures of all my cars in front of the buildings since I was 16 so I plan on taking pictures infront of the rubble with a car that outlasted all of those buildings!

15. My1stcar

My1stcar
    from Blaine MN

My car sat from 1969 to 1995. One of the first things I did was rebuild all 7 brake cylinders. I haven't had any problems.
    I would like to upgrade to disc, but I need the finish everything else first.

16. rlsbee

rlsbee

Here's a couple of pics of a friend's '48 Plymouth coupe. It has a 392 Hemi with dual quads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. n847

n847

Wow...that dude did some work to get that hemi between those fenders!

18. n847

n847

I've heard something about guys doing an aerostar spring swap on these cars...I tried to do a little research and what I found is the Moog part no. CC-850 springs. Is that correct? I also saw a thread tonight that recomended these springs for early 50's fords.

http://www.amazon.com/Moog-CC850-Variable-Rate-Spring/dp/B000C59UXQ

If anyone has done this swap do I need to cut the coils to get the ride height down or should it be pretty close. I like the stance I have at the moment but my ride is total crap. I plan on doing the upper shock relocation this winter, and since my springs were heated and clamped back in the day I figured I should get em out of there at the same time.

19. n847

n847

Thanks man best auction score of the last year my buddy scored 3 of em for like 15 bux and gave me that one! It gets a ton of comments, and got some looks in the parking lot of my local poling spot!

20. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Those were all the rage in the 70's amongst a certain crowd. I even saw a fake cop car with a US Taxpayer seal on the doors of a black-and-white Dodge Monoco.

21. n847

n847

I have had a change in plans. I decided even though the floor pans and trans tunnel are ugly they aren't going any where! So I'll spend my time and money getting the car running and driving right this winter. I've sent paterns for a set Ford Explorer disc brake brackets and upper shock mounts to my buddy with a CNC plasma cutter. I'm ordering a set of Aerostar springs and I'll install them at full height, and cut them down to my liking. I'm thinking about possibly doing the Cavilear R&P conversion as well. But that will be time and money permitting.

I also found a small water leak under the car when I moved it to clean out the garage last week. After looking it appears that I've got a leaky freeze plug above my starter on the passenger side of the block. I've never changed a freeze plug but it doesn't sound like too big of a deal. Of course my trans pan is still leaking like a son of a gun so I've got to get that squared away too.

I still plan on re-wiring from the dash foreward and re-finishing the dash and all my garnish mouldings.

So I guess I better get to work!

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The car is coming along great! I like the stance!
    If you still want to change the altenator bracket to something smaller and traditional looking, you might take a look at these brackets at Summit. They can be mounted on either side, and are pretty cheap:
    SUM-G4050, SUM-G4051, SUM-G4049. All three pieces total about $25 or so.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=summit%20alternator%20bracket&dds=1

23. n847

n847

Yeah that's on the to do list...I never really liked that bracket set up its just what I ran on the engine before. Actually I have all of those brackets in my stash it just wasnt a priority when I was getting the swap finished last year...maybe before next spring. I've also got a good selection of pulleys now thanks to the fiasco I went through!

Thanks for the compliment by the way. I dig your gasser it's one of my favorites!

24. LeftCoastCruiser

LeftCoastCruiser
    from So Cal

Keep up all the hard work man, she's coming along very nicely!

25. n847

n847

I've noticed alot of people asking Plymouth questions lately...I don't know the answers by any means but I have a few links saved that I'd like to document here I think they can help some people as much as they have helped me. Thanks to all of you who have documented your tech! If you have any more that you would like to link feel free. I've really only included the ones I plan on using at this point!

Lower it cheap! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...?t=685246Heres
    a shock relocation on the cheap!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...nts+moparHeres
    a disc brake conversion on the cheap!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...?t=702258Heres
    the Cavilear R&P steering swap on the cheap!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ht=rack+pinion

26. n847

n847

Got my disc brake brackets cut today...gotta love having a plasma cutter at work! I stripped the drums then the wife & kids wanted chicken wings so I'm sittin here waiting for a table insted of workin on the Plymouth! Good news is I got the TJJ app and the bars got cold beer!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

27. n847

n847

Well the brackets needed some tweaking, but I'm pretty sure thats because when I printed the pattern it was slightly over sized and I didn't account for that when I made them. If the brackets were made perfectly and you had all your parts you could litteraly do this entire conversion in a few hours!

I need to get some grade 8 bolts tomorrow, and do a little more fit up work then the drivers side should be about done as far as mounting goes.

28. Brackets look good. Disc brakes are nice!

29. n847

n847

A couple pics from last night!
    [​IMG]

The rotor doesn't want to sit totaly flush to the hub even after I turned the outside edge of the hub about a 1/16". After some looking I think I might have to get this little lip turned off the base of the hub?
    [​IMG]