Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 plymouth 2 door sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazietj, Sep 13, 2010.

1. crazietj

crazietj

Well I picked this beauty up not that long ago. It needs floors bad. almost all the ss is there, except for the driver side rocker, and one piece in the grill. I have a friend that said they have the grill piece for me, and the rockers I wont worry about. So I cleaned it out, and there was a little monster that lived in it, because there was some massive turds under all the leaves. i even found some small rib bones....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is only a little bit, i had already cleaned out 2 55 gallon drums full of leaves and trash
    [​IMG]

my church going floors
    [​IMG]
    I know nothing about this motor, or what it has for a transmission. I tried to join p15-d24, but they have a registration question "what is a common name for a mopar engine with valves in the block?" I'm no motor head, but if i recall the only ones that have valves in the blocks are flat heads. well I tried l-head, flat head, all the # sizes and got nothing, I sent them a email about it, and never got a answer, I even sent a second one, and still know answer. so guess they don't want new people on there site. which is a shame, because there's alot of info I can learn on there. anyway, I'm going to try and get it to run, then pull it, and swap a 360, 727, and put a 8 3/4 rear in it from a fury.
    [​IMG]
    the oldest ready to cruise
    [​IMG]
    a black and white pic froma ny police car, i used to color, just to see what it may look like
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

love those cars. hell yeah.

3. chriseakin

chriseakin

I think the answer might be L-head but don't have one myself.
    Chris

4. crazietj

crazietj

I tried that, but got it wrong....not sure what the deal is, but oh well...

5. crazietj

crazietj

thanks, its my first build, and i hope the kids and I can learn a little something in the process.

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

try flathead 6 or L head 6. there is a lot of info on the p15 d25 site not in the forum, and the forum is searchable without being registered. There is only one administrator and it not uncommon for 48 hours to pass between submitting a request and getting a reply.

Plymouth never had fluid drive so you have a 97 HP 218 cubic inch engine with a column shifted three speed with a 1 to 1 top gera and either a 4.11 to 1 or 3.89 to 1, rear. If the car is native to Indy it likely was built in evansville, so will likely have the flatland 3.89. Above the generator is a casting boss with a stamped number, if it starte with a P15 it is probably the stock motor. Also look at the block near the distributor and see if there is a riveted on brass tag. If so its a rebuild tag and will have some info about what machine work was done during the rebuild. Stock engines were silver being yours is blue it might be an after market rebuild.

If stock you are working with a 6V POSITIVE GROUND system. R CAR fabrications and the Plymouth Doctor have replacement floor panels if you chose to go that way.

Carfull mucking out stuff if its rodent feces in it, especially with the kids around, ti can carry Heunta virus. dust mask is a minuimum and if you shop vac it will get distributed through the exhaust air.

There are not many 2dr sedans left around. 4 doors and coupes are more common.

Good luck with it. If you chose to go the v8 route common wisdom dictates offsetting the engien to the pass side a couple inches to clear the steering box.

7. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Bitchin' car and a Special deluxe too. If you go with the V-8, look at the early (55-57) Plymouths. I stuffed one in a 48 2 door and it recquired NO offset or steering mods. Sure wish I had her now.

8. What greg (plym46) said............

I'm not sure what the exact correcct word is. Maybe it needs to be
    spelled as one word "flathead" instead of two "flat head".

Sorry you couldn't get it to work. I did quote your remarks over on
    that forum, on which I participate, so will see what the response is.

Good luck with your build - whatever you do.

9. p15-1948

p15-1948

I'm pretty sure it was flathead one word.

Mike

10. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

sweet car look good ................................ you go man.

11. crazietj

crazietj

Thanks for all the help. I could of sworn i used flathead with no space, but I guess i didnt, cause that worked. Thanks for the advice on the car as well. this should be an interesting project.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Congrats on the Plym, it's screaming for a chop! Good luck and remember that everything is possible as a first timer. Planning and measuring are two words that come in to my mind. Hey, I'm a first timer too.

13. bobjob55

bobjob55

great looking car ...and a great looking line of to-do projects sitting all around it ....
    glad to here that you was able to join d15-p24 .... a ton of info ,,, and some really great guys there ..

14. joel torres

joel torres

nice two door you have a bunch a plymouth owners here and on the plymouth forum you pretty much have an army of knowledge and possible parts at your disposal

15. old rat

old rat

Don't give up on th 15/24 site. It took a couple of days for me too. FLATHEAD should be correct. Great bunch of people there as here. I have a 46 like yours. Just patching the floor now. Enjoy.

16. George

George

Put 46-48 plym in search, truck load of threads on how to do them.

17. crazietj

crazietj

I'm toying with some options, a small chop on the front to kinda give it a front end rake. I am not even sure if its doable, but i kinda photo-chopped (gimp) to see what it would look like. Some people tell me that the plymouth sedans dont look right with chopped tops, I never seen one myself. I tried to search for one, with no luck. let me know what you think of this..

[​IMG]

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Here's a dodge same body style.

Attached Files:

19. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Nice score, us Plymouth guys seem to be a rare breed.

20. crazietj

crazietj

how much chop , and do you have any more pics?

21. farmer12

farmer12

I wouldn't just do the front, take a few inches out of the rear as well. This probably won't be easy but will bring the car looking proportionally better. Hey, there's my 2c.

22. Or, if you're not into super speed, you might go this way.:)
    would be a great learning trip for the young one.

Attached Files:

23. Grease Junkie

Grease Junkie

Nice! Almost as rare as my 2dr dodge! I've seen only 2 plymouth 2dr sedans locally here in MN. I have yet to see another 2dr sedan dodge. I love my fluid drive.

24. dalerobin

dalerobin

I have put both chevy and plymouth v-8s in this model plymouths..The 318 I hookedup to the original manual trns and it didnt need an adapter. Ran an angle iron across bolted to bolts above suspension pillars for motor mount. Had to buy a floor shifter. Better yet was on another car I put in a 1956 265 chev with powerglide. This was unbelivably easy. Two 1/2 by 2 inch wide pieces of flatbar welded off the frame to pickup the front motor mounts and a 4 inch channel across the frame to pickup the rear trns mount bolts. The 1956 chevy radiator slid right down into the plymouth radiator housing firmly ( no bolts required )..Cooling lines hookedup nicely to radiator cooler.. Plymouth speedometer actually fit to the chevy trns though not to accurate speed.. Speedometer sayed 100 mph when the car was really going about 75 LOL....Plymouth drive was a slip fit into the chevy dreveshaft.. Gasline hose fit to the chevy manual gas pump..Same threads..Plymouth accelerator linkage linedup with chevy 4-barrel linkage and just ran a weld across. Slammed the hood and never opened it again unless to check fluids. No cutting for any clearances.