Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plym Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Work In Progress, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Nice job routing around the steering box. Thanks for the detailed pics!

2. farmer12

farmer12

That's what you get when you build an awesome car!:D:D:D

3. Loooking good so far...

4. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I started on the steering column tonight. I know it looks like shit now but I am confident I can clean it up to make it look presentable. Remember, 10 years ago I was going for the modern street rod look like my father builds. It even was going to have a SBC (chevy) in it. So I still have theis Caddy tilt teloscopic column, I know it is not traditional but I thought if I get rid of that UGLY key cylinder it might look better. Always preferred to have the ignition on the dash. Here are some pictures of my butchery on the colum.

By the way, any ideas on how to fill the holes? I cannot weld aluminum so I was thinking epoxy????? Am I committing a sin?? I am only really worried about the ignition hole as the other one is under the dash.

Attached Files:

5. fiddy

fiddy

Something like that may be your best bet. I have tried to tig one...ford i think removing the key switch and it is a pretty dirty metal.

6. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

My thoughts exactly. If it does develop a crack, who's going to see it? I was just seeing if there are any other ideas. Thanks!!!!!!!

7. I've used epoxy. Bondo will work great but I find it cracks after a while due to vibration. How about a polyester reinforced bondo? Like Kitty hair or Dura glass?

8. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Thought about kitty hair but I heard it dries hard and does not flex.... A little cracking probably would not bother me though, hard to see on the side of a colum.

9. I'd go with good ol bondo then. Easy to work with. Worst thing that could happen is a hairline crack.

10. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Well after a few months off I got back at it again. Been having fun driving my 49 around that I have been lazy about working on the 47. Also spending too much time here and not in the garage:). Decided to tackle the inner fenders this weekend. The stockers had a shelf that went into the engine compartment, Left side held the battery and the right side held the heater box on some models. Neither side could stay with the V8 there. Here are some pictures..........

Attached Files:

11. farmer12

farmer12

Looks like you have that whale of an engine nicely in position. Clearance with inner fenders is always an issue. Well done.

12. Chop 51sent you a pm guys i used a rear steer nova clip in my 47 plymouth used a lot of stock nova and camaro parts sub frame is not to wide i used a nova just have to use a wheel that is in set alittle more and i found that in a stock set of wheels you do have to trim the inner fender wheel wells if i figure how to post pictures from this dam phone i will

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  13. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Where did you have to cut for wheel clearance? Seems like there is a lot of room for the rim and tire.

14. servi53

servi53

nice work on a cool car, let's see some more

15. bobjob55

bobjob55

nice build .. i wish that mine was that far ahead ..

16. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Unfortunitally it goes in spurts. 4 kids, job with long hours and a small pocket book.

17. bobjob55

bobjob55

NO TO BONDO...... J.B. weld works best ...used it to fill a hole the size of a quarter on the case of my B.S.A. ran it for 5 years ..

18. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Yeah, I agree..... Will just finish it with a little filler.

Since I'm missing some of my grille pieces been thinking of using a 49 or 50 Cad grill that I have.... Not sure but I'll hang it on the front and see if it looks good.

19. Work in progress i trimed the inner fender panel just below the fender shelfs to give the a arms up and down room

20. You can get a cover for the steering or make a steel cover to slid over it once the key swicth is removed

21. What pieces are you missing for your grille

22. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I never thought of that..... Do you know where? It is a Tilt / Telescopic.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

23. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Ok, I see now... Had to completly remove the shelves off mine for engine clearance.

24. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

I'm missing 2 middle large cross bars and the long lower on that covers the bumper apron.

Thanks!!

25. rocketbob

rocketbob
    from West Texas

26. j hansen

j hansen

What a nice car,and a very nice engine.

27. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

28. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Thank you!

29. Nice project you got going there!
    Keep us posted.

30. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Have been spending lot of family time the last few months. Did a Rear axle swap on the 49 dodge For some better highway manners.
    I was able to cut and finish the inner fender panels on the 47. Will be back on it in September when little league is over.

Attached Files: